Monday, May 21, 2018

An Article About Birthdays & Shared Interests.

In celebration of Conklederp's birthday, I just wanted to talk about a couple of her favorite video games over the years; mind you this isn't all of them, just meant as a brief briefing of the games I have watched her enjoy over the years since we have been together.


The Sims 2 & 3:  I say 2 and 3 because I think it was The Sims 2 that was her introduction, if not what really solidified it as her favorite game after the original The Sims. And The Sims 2 was what she was really into when we first started dating 10 years ago.  In 2009 when The Sims 3, came out, it was more of the same, but better.  At least that was my impression.  Better except the fact that EA started coming out with inventory expansions every 20 days.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem:  If any game was nearly the exact opposite of The Sims, Eternal Darkness probably fits most of that bill.  I introduced Conklederp to this game, probably around 2008 (a year before The Sims 3 was released), but it was great watching her play and be actively engaged in one of my personal favorite video games.  And I say actively in that she did not just play the game because she was trying to win me over and earn the oft coveted Girlfriend of the Year award, she genuinely enjoyed playing it, and being frightened along with the rest of first time players when some insanity took hold.

Plants Vs. Zombies:  Another game that I was introduced to during PAX08 that I thought Conklederp would like, due to our mutual love of zombies, plants, and semi-relaxing video games.  I am 99% positive that she beat this game waaay before I did and had nearly cleared out Crazy Dave of his unique inventory and had already spent I don't know how much time with her mushroom garden before I even reached the roof.  There are times when the music from the game plays and we are hit with a little wave of nostalgia for the summer of 2009.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim:  This was another game I introduced Conklederp to, partly because she was considering buying The Sims 3 expansion where you could play as a knight, or there was something about a kingdom.  I do not recall exactly, but in the winter of 2012 after I showed her the character creation and that you could basically do whatever you want while this gorgeous music played in the background, I found that my in-game time had been eclipsed by hers, easily in the double digits.  At last count, her one character, Magicia, had upwards of 400+ hours.  She tried creating other characters, like the older Nord woman who all of a sudden discovered that she was the Dragonborn and began gallivanting around Skyrim instead of retiring to a nursing home, but it was always Magicia that she went back to.  And, Conklederp has finished more of the game than I have (main quest and both DLC's), despite my 150+ hours with my one Bosmer.  And I love it!

Stardew Valley:  Lastly, there is Stardew Valley on the Nintendo Switch.  I knew that Conklederp had played a bit of either Animal Crossing or Harvest Moon waaaay back in the day, and she tinkered around with Farmville like most of the world, and I figured that its focus on taking the game at your own pace was something that she would be drawn to.  So I ordered it on the Switch for her, really hoping that it would be a game that she would like (it was part of an anniversary gift after all).  Well, some 150ish+ hours later and I do not know how many years of in-game time, I think I found another game she kind of liked.  And it was a lot of fun having her show me her farm, the various animals and their names that she acquired (and raised), and what I really loved was her approach to the game, which she has talked about a bit.  It really is a relaxing game to sit back and not only watch, but to listen to as well.  Except when cows/goats are unable to give you milk, that sound was yick.


So those are just a brief sampling of Conklederp's favorite video games, to say nothing of her favorite board games.  And I also wanted to add how doubley awesome it is to have a partner (girlfriend, now wife) who you happen to share such an interest with.

Love you!



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment