Wednesday, April 24, 2019

MIDI Week Singles: "Searching for Friends" - Final Fantasy III/VI (SNES)


"Searching for Friends" from Final Fantasy VI on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (1994)
Composer: Nobuo Uematsu
Label: NTT Publishing / Squaresoft
Publisher: Square
Developer: Square



This might end up being kinda sappy, but who cares.

I decided on "Searching for Friends" from Final Fantasy III/VI partly because of the title, but also because this Friday will be the seventh anniversary for Dr. Potts and I writing together about video games and whatnot.  Granted the first three and-a-half years were over on TwoBoysAndTheirBlog before moving over here for the remaining amount of time.  Because the blog was started as a way of keeping in contact after I moved out of state, I thought that this song and how it was used in the game (after Celes leaves the island following the cataclysm that reshaped the world) would be semi-appropriate; not that me moving away is supposed to signify the cataclysm, that's looking too deep into meanings that aren't there.

There are so many little things that I like about this song.  There's the combination bass line and melody, both work on their own and you can easily pick one line to focus on each time the song loops.  And that bass line is really something else too.  I also love that this song is used whenever you are in the over world in the World of Ruin, be it flying in the airship or just walking around on land, this is the song that is playing.  I could be putting my own meaning into the use of this song for both purposes, but to me it feels like you do not need a separate song for the airship when your purpose is the same, regardless of your mode of transportation; but that's just me.

Either way, go find a friend.  They're out there.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment