Thursday, October 24, 2019

MIDI Week Singles: "East Garden" - Sweet Home (FAM)


"East Garden" from Sweet Home on the Family Computer (1989)

Composer: Juzo Itami / Junko Tamiya*
Album: No Official Release
Publisher: Capcom
Developer: Capcom




Sweet Home is a game on the Famicom that I have known about at least since 2012 when I saved four or five separate YouTube videos of the Japanese film of the same name to my account and presently, I have yet to watch it.  I did recently find a single 1h42m video of the film so I will definitely have to watch it now.  I bring this up because Sweet Home as a lot of people already know at this point is often credited as the inspiration for the first Resident Evil game, even made more obvious by the fact that Capcom developed and published both games.

Now, I have never played Sweet Home in any format although there have been fan-made English translation ROMS of Sweet Home, but I am secretly hoping that Capcom will see the profitability of rereleasing it on the Switch, either in the form of a separate downloadable game, or allowing it as a late entry on Nintendo's NES Online library.  From what I have understood about when "East Garden" plays in the game, is that there is a storm happening outside, which could be the reason for the staticky drum beat about every 1.5ish seconds incorporating the sound of thunder into the song.  Then there is the melody that really only lasts about 25 seconds before repeating with the rest of the song.  Lastly, holding the song together is whatever the musical run is called that opens the song (my last music theory class was 17 years ago).

We have used Junko Tamiya's music before with her music from Little Nemo: The Dream Master, so I was at least somewhat familiar with her style with the NES sound chip.  And out of the all of the music that I listened to from Sweet Home, this is the track that stuck with me, I really liked it, and beyond that, I have nothing else.  



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

There Is An End To Lonliness


*P.S.  I use the asterix because two sources I have found [Video Game Music Database under the alias of "GON", and Video Game Music Preservation Foundation] have credited Junko Tamiya as the composer of Sweet Home, while Wikipedia has the composer as Juzo Itami.  It could also be that Juzo Itami was just another alias (in the era of aliases used for Japanese video game composers) for Junko Tamiya.  Perhaps more research is in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment