Wednesday, August 5, 2020

MIDI Week Singles: "Assimilate" - ATV Wild Ride (DS)


"Assimilate" from ATV Wild Ride on the Nintendo 3DS (2013) and the Nintendo DS (2011)
Composer: Swift Justice and the Hired Goons
Album: ATV Wild Ride
Label: Renegade Kid / Bandcamp
Publisher: Renegade Kid
Developer: Renegade Kid



ATV Wild Ride 3D was a 3Dified revamped port of Renegade Kid's ATV Wild Ride that was released on the Nintendo DS two years prior.  I picked up ATV Wild Ride 3D on the 3DS back in 2016, probably after the game went on sale.

So this song, "Assimilate" performed by Swift Justice and the Hired Goons, a band created by late Renegade Kid's co-founder Greg Hargrove, is the song that plays during your first race on the first track in Mexico.  For me, it's a great high energy song that is stupidly catchy and really got me pumped for the easiest of stages (even on higher difficulties, although even then it can still be hard as the AI drivers are more competent) and then leading into the rest of the game.  There are some other good songs on the soundtrack (no longer available from Bandcamp), but for me, none of them stand out as much as "Assimilate" on their own, but they all work very well when taking in the context of racing an ATV through some part of the world.

Sadly, this is the only evidence I could find for Swift Justice and the Hired Goons (and I have reached out to Jools Watsham in the past via Twitter) so I cannot say if Greg created the group specifically for Renegade Kid games or if they did some local touring around Austin, TX.  At least they (continue to) exist on the Internet for now.

~JWfW/JDub/Cooking Crack/Jaconian
The Final Edge of the World

2 comments:

  1. Cool to see someone else remembers this game/soundtrack, both were surprisingly great. They completely removed it from bandcamp, not just mark it 'hidden', so I have to hope I have it downloaded somewhere still. I understand though, they have their reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the singer for the band! And we did shows around Austin quite a bit. So no we weren't created for Renegade Kid games, it was just Gregg's band. 😎

    ReplyDelete