Saturday, November 28, 2020

First Impressions: Spiritfarer (Switch)





I purchased Spiritfarer after seeing a recommentation from Jorge Albor of the Experience Points podcast.  I thought it looked like a game Jane and I might play.  I was half-right.

This article is unique in that I have not actually played Spiritfarer, but I still want to write my first impressions.  Jane, on the other hand, has put in about twenty hours over the past week.  



Spiritfarer is a beautifully animated game, consisting mostly of busy work.  Collect resources, process resources, visit islands, manage relationships.  The game it makes me think of most is Stardew Valley, except instead of a farm, you have a ship, on which you build a ramshackle collection of different buildings.  You can get orchards and gardens, a mill, a smithy, a loom.  All sorts of stuff.  And on your ship are a collection of Spirit People, in the form of lovingly drawn animals.  


Spiritfarer is a game that exudes personality.  You play the role of Stella, the spiritfarer, who helps dead souls pass on.  She is a cheerful and energetic child. The dialogue and animation give life to the characters. Each of your animal spirit friends has a meter measuring their happiness.   You can accomplish tasks on their behalf, you can give them food, and - best of all - you can hug them.  It is extremely adorable the big bear hugs Stella gives.  


This game is basically everything Jane looks for in gaming.  There is basically no combat, you spend your time helping people, and surrounding it all is a meaningful story about life and death.  I don't know if I'll ever actually play, having watched so much of Jane, but I am certain that this is a special game.  

-D



No comments:

Post a Comment