Wednesday, November 4, 2020

MIDI Week Singles: "Main BGM" - Mighty Bomb Jack (NES)

 

"Main BGM" from Mighty Bomb Jack on the Nintendo Entertainment System (1987)
Label: (Maybe?) King & Scitron Digital Contents
Publisher: Tecmo
Developer: Tecmo

I first borrowed Mighty Bomb Jack from a neighbor back in the early '90s, not knowing exactly what it was and being disappointed when I started playing.  The only thing I can think of is that I thought it was Bomberman which was also released on the NES in North America in 1987, but I cannot be for certain because I had never played Bomberman; maybe I saw something about it in an issue of Nintendo Power?  All I could tell you about this game before it was released on the Switch's NES Online app was that you could jump and/or fly, there were coins or bombs or something to collect, and that the music was pretty catchy.  Never even beating the first area/stage/level, "Main BGM" was the only song that I heard during the first stage as there is not even any title screen music.

What I enjoy about this song is that it invokes Nintendo arcade music that Hirokazu Tanaka might have written, plus there is a layer of American-esque that comes in at 0:18.  And once you get past the four-second intro, you only have 22 seconds of melody before it loops again.

I guess that is really all I have to say here.  It is a song I fondly remember from when I was a kid, from a game that I was disappointed about and have never played past the first area.  But I just might pick it up again (maybe?) because it is there and I do kinda wonder how the hell to play this game.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
These Are The Scorched Steps of Mankind

No comments:

Post a Comment