Wednesday, December 16, 2020

MIDI Week Singles: "Ending Theme" - Willow (NES)

 

"Ending Theme" from Willow on the Nintendo Entertainment System (1989)
Composer: Harumi Fujita
Album: No Official Release
Publisher: Capcom
Developer: Capcom


Continuing with the Ending themes for December, I wanted to use this theme from the NES game Willow.  Admittedly, I have only heard this a few times all because a neighbor borrowed the game, wrote down passwords frequently and when he returned the game, also gave me his list of passwords so I could fight Bavmorda any time I wanted to with Willow Ufgood all souped-up with the best equipment.  I never have managed to make it through Willow on my own, which still makes me kind of sad because I find it to be one of the better video game translations of a movie IP.

Kind of similar to the End Theme from Shien's Revenge from last week's MIDI Week Single, the majority of the music here is all new and not taken from earlier moments in the game.  The song does open with a slightly creepy motif that is reminiscent of the music in Tir Asleen and possibly Nokmaar Castle but at least it is keeping in theme with the rest of the music in the game.  The music is very victorious, suiting to this end of Willow's journey as the player is shown locations throughout the world that they explored while questing to save Elora Danan and defeat Bavmorda.  Then as the screen changes back to Willow's home village of Nelwyn and the credits thank Lucas Arts and Capcom, the music transitions to Elora Danan's theme from the film.  This is the only time that the music from the film is used in the game and it only lasts seven seconds, but it is right before the end of the song, so that is what sticks in my head as the song ends.

Ahh!  I love it.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
Tomorrows Turmoil Tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment