Wednesday, December 2, 2020

MIDI Week Singles: "Title & Ending Theme" - Wizards & Warriors (NES)

 

"Title & Ending Theme" from Wizards & Warriors on the Nintendo Entertainment System (1987)
Composer: David Wise
Album: No Official Release
Publisher: Acclaim Entertainment
Developer: Rare




I promise you I did not intentionally choose another David Wise song to use for today's MIDI Week Single.  I did not even know that Wizards & Warriors was a Rare game until I was putting together the information at the start of this article.  I wanted to focus on Epilogue and Ending themes this month and going through my list of songs, I saw this one down towards the bottom (because the list is alphabetical) and listened to the song again to make sure that it was one that I still enjoyed listening to apart from when I first started putting the list together a year (or so) ago.

And yes, "Title & Ending Theme" from Wizards & Warriors still holds up very well, both in terms of a 33-year-old song and as a stand-alone piece that would not necessarily need an introduction.  For this track, which is used both as the title theme and once you save the princess, I feel that it could very well stand by itself if there was no more development after the first eight seconds and just think about that for a moment.  For me, by eight seconds into the song, I am already hooked, David Wise could have just copy/pasted those first eight seconds ad infinitum and called it a day.  But then a bass line comes in at nine seconds and then, helps carry the song through to the semi-end.  Because there are the tones, we will call them a flute, that play a couple of notes that signal the beginning of the game with the player presses the Start button.  But it could be the beginning of a new section of the song.  

But it isn't. 

So we will have to bask in the glory that is this short 37-second song that heralds the daring quest of Kuros, and do not pardon me for being melodramatic here, but also the beginning of the closing of 2020.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
I Follow The Procession of Shadows

No comments:

Post a Comment