Wednesday, May 19, 2021

MIDI Week Singles: "Can't Wait To Be King" - The Lion King (SNES)

 


"Can't Wait To Be King" from The Lion King on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (1994)
Original Music by Elton John
Composers: Frank Klepacki, Dwight Okahara, John Wright, Zack Bremner, Patrick Collins
Album: No Official Release
Publisher: Virgin Interactive Entertainment
Developer: Westwood Studios, Disney Software


Perhaps an odd choice for todays MIDI Week Single and the following sentences/paragraphs may alienate some people, but those are the risks we all take just waking up in the morning.

I hate this.

I hate the stage that this song is used in in the SNES game.  I am 98.47% certain that I never beat this stage although I know I made it at least to the second ostrich running section.  You know, the one where the guiding arrows are removed to let you know when to jump over the pink baby rhinos or when to duck under the bird nests in the low hanging branches.  I did use some codes to play through other areas of the game, but if I was playing to see how far I could get, this was the end for me.  This was also only Stage 2 in the game.

That being said, the song is wonderfully arranged by whomever did the arranging from the five people who worked in the sound department at Virgin and/or Disney Software.  Most impressive, at least for me, is the "Huum!" which sounds like it was taken straight off of the soundtrack.  I do not know, it just sounds really good to me and had that been omitted (as it seems to have been in the SEGA Genesis version) it would have lost so much of that oomph that makes this song interesting.

So there you have it, a song from a game I could barely start, from a level that I absolutely hate, from a movie that I love.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
Let Us Die In Our Tears Now

No comments:

Post a Comment