Friday, September 3, 2021

Monthly Update: September, 2021

 


Get the vaccine if you haven't yet and you are able to.
When going about your life, don't be a dick.  Unless that person being a dickwad is a white supremacist or any iteration thereof.  Then ask them to leave.  If they do not leave, destroy them.

I have gotten (back) into handheld gaming over the last month, and that was mainly because I decided to stop playing The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks which I finally got fed up with enough to (at least for the time being) call it quits.  And this was after playing the game for 34h 07m so it was not after only 15 minutes into the prologue and decided that I thought toon Link wasn't masculine enough to warrant my time.  I have an article in the works although I have found it a bit difficult to write, which seems to be a theme recently for some of the longer games I have played and actually finished.  I have two different articles started for Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity after spending 92 hours on that game (not including the DLC that I have not yet purchased and likely won't) and it all depends on how I want to approach that article and really how many articles I want to write.  I also started one for Call of Cthulhu which should not take me too long if I just sit down for a couple of hours and plug away at it, then go back and do a final run-through to touch up all of the errors.

But yes, handheld gaming.  So after I pulled Spirit Tracks, I decided to play another game that I beat (see below) and now I am playing Professor Layton and the Unwound Future because I had nearly forgotten I had that game and I loved the two previous games, even if at times they made me feel like an idiot who could not figure out the proper change to give while working at a shoe store.  I am now two hours into that game and I do not think I will be doing a First Impressions article, and may just wait until I finish and do the Game EXP article.  I also whipped out the PSP and started God of War: Ghost of Sparta because those are some damn fun games and another one that I had purchased way before Conklederp and I got married (nearly seven years back) and I still never played it; mainly because I was hoping to finish God of War: Chains of Olympus but could never get passed the main boss on Normal difficulty.  Then while scouring the bookshelf where I keep the PSP discs, I found our DS Lites, charged them up and I could be ready to start in on Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones because my Game Boy Advance is apparently not wanting to power up.  I also briefly looked into modding my DS Lite to function as a Game Boy Macro because the top screen is 50% detached from the body of the system, being the primary reason I bucked for the 3DS, but that may be a bit too complicated for my Professor Layton-struggling mind, so I may put that off indefinitely.

But going back to games that I have stopped playing, let us revisit Saturday Morning RPG, and another game that I started last month that I have only briefly talked about on teh Twitter, Missing Features 2D.  I went back to Saturday Morning RPG a few weeks ago and found that I was actually having fun, but once a fight started, pulled the game from the Switch dock so that I could play in handheld mode so that I could use the touch screen for the sticker scratching mechanic.  I am pretty sad that this integrated mechanic that is integral to being successful at the game requires you to either scratch/rub the screen which is not as effective as jiggling the joystick back-and-forth as forcefully as you can with is not good for the life of the joystick (everyone who played 1080° Snowboarding is currently agreeing with me) and accept that you probably will not scratch all five stickers, or jiggle the joystick as mentioned above.  And with Missing Features 2D, I love the concept which is similar to Evoland's unlocking/discovering features common to RPGs, but here you are playing a 2D side scrolling platformer and like the title says, you unlock features as you progress through the stages.  I have reached the point in Stage 10 where it took me over an hour to beat a single stage.  While there are checkpoints throughout each stage, average between two to three, the game only saves after you beat a level, and I am not in the mood to dedicate my Switch to only having this game up while I try to beat a single stage.  Call me spoiled.

And if you have not caught up with our last series of articles, you will have missed that Conklederp and I binged through three games in the Escape First series (ES1, ES2, ES3) of video game escape rooms.  Over the course of nine days, we played one escape room a night until we blew through three games.  We then picked up Curious Cases, a story-driven set of three escape rooms following a singular story, but I think we needed a bit of a break because but we did start the game on Wednesday night and I know I will have some stuff to say in the Game EXP article, especially about the "save" functionality of a three part story.  I also finished Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir on the 3DS (article coming on that one sometime soon).  I also (finally) finished Mario's Super Picross on the SNES Online app on the Switch.  All 300 puzzles were completed although I did use some help on a handful of puzzles because I was either too impatient to mark only a single square on a 20x20 board, or I messed up at some point 32 minutes in and could not figure out where my mistake was.  What surprised me the most, was that for the Mario puzzles, I had completely forgotten about the rewind feature on the SNES Online app and there were a number of times I mistake my way into failing a puzzle.

Lastly, I have finally gotten library access on my Kindle and am blowing through Star Wars novels like there is no tomorrow.  I decided I would start with the ones that were being published leading up to The Force Awakens so I might have a couple Book Review articles coming up.  There might be an article per book for a couple and then I might lump others into one because I do not know if I will have time to read and write individual articles for five+ novels and a bunch of short story collections.  I will say though that I have been pretty surprised by the quality of some of the stories and will leave it at that (for now).

Oh, and I got a new job that I started yesterday.  So yay!   This might end up meaning that I only end up posting on Monday or Friday, and on Wednesdays.  But yay income!



~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
Behold My Art

No comments:

Post a Comment