Wednesday, January 12, 2022

MIDI Week Singles: "Castle of the Gods" - Saturday Morning RPG (NS)


 

"Castle of the Gods" from Saturday Morning RPG on Everything (2012)
Composer: Kenny Meriedeth
Label: Bandcamp
Publisher: Limited Run Games
Developer: Mighty Rabbit Studios

The MIDI Week Single this week is somewhat of an honorable mention from the music we have selected over the last month.  "Castle of the Gods" plays during the Christmas Special episode of Saturday Morning RPG while you are searching the ice flows of Antarctica, although there is not a lot that is specifically wintery about it.  The music has a very 80s feel to it with its synthesizer-heavy around the 20-second mark, although I do not know if there was a specific homage that this song is paid to.  It does kind of remind me of Kitaro who writes ethereal electronic/symphonic music, kind of like "Journey to a Fantasy" from his 1987 album "The Light of the Spirit."  It was because of this song that I did not mind how expansive the Antarctica area was and how much backtracking I ended up having to do.

"Castle of the Gods" is also noticeably more low-key and relaxing than a lot of the rest of the music from the game, which is more high-energy to get you pumped.  I just think it is a chill song that made me feel like I was 10 years old and playing on the SNES in my parent's living room on a Saturday morning before cartoons started.  


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
We Fight For Our Destiny

No comments:

Post a Comment