Monday, March 7, 2022

The Legends of The Legend of Zelda

Presently I am playing through The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, being the game that currently, is the start of the entire Legend of Zelda timeline.  There is an official timeline for The Legend of Zelda series, in fact, there are multiple timelines that may or may not reconverge for Breath of the Wild and all games associated with that game (Age of Calamity, Breath of the Wild 2) and I have gone over that a few times in the past year.

Upon looking at the official timeline, I noticed that there were a lot of games in the early chronology that I had never played before and I thought it a good time to revisit the entire (or most of) series.  With the beginning timeline there are the following games (and I am sorry/not sorry for the lists):

  • Skyward Sword  (Currently playing this).
  • The Minish Cap (I do have this for the Wii U's Virtual Console, so that will be how I play that).
  • Four Swords (I am not ready/willing/able to plunk down the full $39.99 for this game, which I have read is not great if you are only playing solo, so I will likely end up skipping this title altogether, which I might regret after March 2023).

The timeline then splits off after Ocarina of Time.  I received a copy of Ocarina of Time 3D from Mjku and I think I will plan on playing that although I am not sure if I want to play the original game or the Master Quest.

In the Link Fails timeline, I have actually played a lot of these games at the beginning and the end but missed out on a lot of the games in the middle.  If I do decide to replay A Link to the Past, I will probably play it on the Switch.  Then for Link's Awakening, I do still have the original Game Boy cartridge (and a working Game Boy), and I do have the Legend of Zelda Game & Watch which does have a pretty small screen, but I have also debated if I want to pick up Link's Awakening DX through the Virtual Console on the 3DS or the revamped version on the Switch.  Then there are the following games:

Then we have the original Legend of Zelda and Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, which I will likely replay on the Switch as the Legend of Zelda Game & Watch screen is pretty small, especially for Zelda II, but I could possibly do it for Legend of Zelda.

For the Child Link timeline there are the following:

  • Twilight Princess (The Kid gave me this on GameCube some years back and I never finished due to getting lost trying to find Heart Container Pieces and losing the plot, so I will likely go back to this, but I don't know if I will restart the entire game, or try and pick up the plot from where I left off).
  • Four Swords Adventure (There is no way I am forking over $60 to play this on the GameCube).

I do not think I will replay through Majora's Mask unless I pick up a copy of Majora's Mask 3D because the fan in my N64 doesn't work and causes the console to overheat and crashes games after about 10-15 minutes.  Plus playing through countless days and resetting time to complete everyone's story feels both tiresome and anxiety-inducing.

For the Adult Link timeline, the only game I have not finished was Spirit Tracks and you can read all about that decision here.  At this point, I might just pick up from where I left off with a walkthrough because I was and still feel that I am over this game and all of its bullshittery.  Because of this, I probably will not be replaying Windwaker on the GameCube or Phantom Hourglass on the DS.

And then that brings us all back down to the Breath of the Wild timeline.  I do not think I will replay through Age of Calamity as I still feel that that playthrough is/was still somewhat recent and I probably will not replay all of Breath of the Wild, but if I have not already played through the DLC Champion's Ballad I will do that then and I will also definitely look into Tarrey Town because I apparently missed that whole sidequest entirely the first time I played.

I like that playing through (most of) these games will happen on various systems because I could easily see myself getting burnt out only playing Legend of Zelda games on a single system for however long it takes.  Plus if I would feel bad about bogarting the Switch from Conklederp.  So I guess that is my general plan for however long this takes.  A year or two?  I will update you all as I start and/or finish the games I have not played.  So at least we all have that to look forward to.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
And I Do The Best I Can

No comments:

Post a Comment