Wednesday, May 18, 2022

MIDI Week Singles: "Whispers of the Ancestors" - The Elder Scrolls Online (PC)

 


"Whispers of the Ancestors" from The Elder Scrolls Online on Windows, OS X, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Stadia, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S (2014)
Composer: Brad Derrick
Album: The Elder Scrolls Online Original Game Soundtrack
Label: Bethesda
Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
Developer: ZeniMax Online Studios


I listened to this soundtrack a lot after I left my career of caregiving for six-and-a-half years and while I was studying for my accounting classes, I listened to this soundtrack almost every day.  The entire soundtrack is roughly two-and-a-half hours long so it would easily cover five hours of studying. Because many of the songs are similar, I would not always notice when songs would repeat, especially when I had the album on shuffle.  

"Whispers of the Ancestors" was one of the exceptions though, as my ears would always perk up at 1:59 when that, what I assume to be an oboe, comes in pretty low and drawn out, it just felt like sinking into warmth, surrounded by trees with an ever slightly cool breeze blowing the scent of warm pine through.  And then when that, we will call it a french horn, comes in at 2:35 . . . it is just perfect.  The last third of the song builds like the previous thirds and the vocals around 3:35 through the end of the song are a nice cap.  

I find that this song eases my stress levels and reminds me to just breathe.  At my last job, which is a lot like my current job but with a different company, whenever I feel stressed or anxious about my work and I need to focus, more often than not I will pull up this soundtrack and have a similar reaction whenever this song comes on.  It is just good background music that will occasionally pull your attention, but not in a way that is distracting, which makes sense coming from an MMORPG.  And it works well for dealing with simple numbers in semi-complex situations.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
Filled with Hubris

No comments:

Post a Comment