Wednesday, August 17, 2022

MIDI Week Singles: "Dyrford" - Pillars of Eternity (PC)

 

"Dyrford" from Pillars of Eternity on Windows, OSX, Linux, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch (2015)
Composer: Justin Bell
Label: CDBaby
Publisher: Paradox Interactive, Versus Evil


I have kind of played
Pillars of Eternity.  I have started it up twice, the first to see how much it reminded me of Baldur's Gate and the Infinity Engine, and wow, yeah, 2000 vibes all over again, but I did not continue because I must have been playing something equally large at the time because I did not play past the opening prologue group-around-the-fire scene.  Then I started it up a few years ago, and the same thing happened.

I bring all of this up because I have not actually been to the village of Dyrford and have not heard this piece outside of the soundtrack, but I love it whenever it comes on because this music alone makes me want to pack everything up and just live in what this music presents as an idyllic small forest village (presumably with their own fresh water source and no issues with parties of raiding Orcs or whatever the equivalent in the Pillars of Eternity universe are).  Tell me you do not feel the same when the music swells to peak-idyllicism at 2:35 and again at 2:51.  Strolling up to a stone and wooden cottage on a slightly crunchy path through a partially lit forest glade with scattered beams of sunlight through the canopy of pine trees, with a hint of the previous night's rain.  

Damn.  We gotta go hiking in the Gorge again soon.  Or Forest Park.  Or in the Willamette National Forest.  Or the Tillamook State Forest.  Or Mt. Hood National Forest.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
Something Beautiful and New

No comments:

Post a Comment