Monday, August 1, 2022

Monthly Update: August, 2022


It is August and it feels a little weird saying that for a couple of reasons.  First off, it does not feel like we are going into the back end of 2022, the second sequel to 2020, but it is also now in our second month of the new fiscal year at work, which seems pretty anxiety-inducing because I started with the company I work for when they were finishing up their previous fiscal year which means I have been with this company now for just under a year.  Bonkers I say.  Bonkers.

I am sure that some of you will probably say/think something along the lines of "oh thank christ" because I am not bringing up any social issues right now, but that is because again, there is just too much to wrap my head around.  The January 6th Commission Hearings, the blowback from the SCOTUS repealing Roe v Wade, the attempt to codify gay marriage/contraception, that there were 20 Republican congress-humans who voted against a bill to reauthorize a human trafficking bill because why would someone not want that unless they were or have actively benefitted from humans trafficked or you are just a piece of trash?  Or saying that unattractive women shouldn't have to worry about abortion access because they're too ugly to get pregnant.  Yes, he said that and is still in congress because fuck knows why.  Yeah, a lot of this is government related because that is what gets attention and it is honestly hard to stay up-to-date with everything that does not get picked up by various national news agencies, or even local newsgroups.

Well, I guess I did get into the barest amount of social issues.  So take that.  Somewhere.  I guess.

I got back into #IndieSelect games over the last week of July, the last time being back in January.  The first of the three games, Shutshimi, I posted about last Friday.  I also plan on having an article out for Gateways on Tuesday or Thursday.  Without spoiling too much, this is a 2D platformer that was released in 2012 with an interesting and innovative approach to a Portal-esque mechanic but does a lot more with it than I went into the game expecting.  I will also be starting in on Dropsy, a point-and-click game by Tendershoot and A Jolly Corpse.  Although the article on Dropsy might take longer than next week to come out depending on how obscure and "unconventional" of a point-and-click game this turns out to be.  

I did take a break from playing F.E.A.R. to play the #IndieSelect games, because that is what you do, and I think that I might be just over a third of the way through if you have been following our Twitter feed.  I promise I will get back to this first-person-black-ops shooter with paranormal undertones once I finish with Dropsy unless any more #IndieSelects on Steam drop in my lap.  On the Switch, I am still playing and nearing the end of Final Fantasy X, and I have quite a bit to say about this game that will likely take me some time to put into coherent thoughts because bloody hell knows that my articles for husk, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Blasphemous, and Professor Layton and the Unwound Future are all sitting in draft-limbo; although I think I will likely have my Game EXP for husk out this upcoming week.

And then I am still working on my Atari Greatest Hits, Volume 1 project.  I was a little surprised by the amount of work it actually takes to play a game for 10 minutes.  And that 10 minutes does not include the time I spend reading the instruction manual, because, for some games, there is a surprising amount of things to know before going into a game that only has one button.  And then there are the pictures I need to take of the game cartridge, and at various times while playing trying to anticipate what the couple of paragraphs I dedicate to the article are going to be about.  So really, the 10 minutes I have allocated myself to play the game really comes out to something like nearly an hour, especially if I end up liking the game.  Hopefully, I will get this out before the end of the year.

Show-wise, Conklederp and I finally finished Ms. Marvel a few weeks after the final episode aired, and I did not really know anything about the character before watching the show, we were fine with how her powers were depicted, which a large swath of the Intersocialmedianet seemed to be upset about.  I am pretty stoked for the Andor series on Disney+ at the end of the month; so happy birthday to DellaƱos for that release date.

I think that is it?  Maybe?  I know there are things I did not mention like my general lack of playing the Oculus Quest 2/Meta Quest 2, but that is mainly because I have been spending the better part of my evenings playing PC games and it can be challenging finding the time to play VR games with a sleeping toddler only 20 feet away in the next room.  I also have a little bit of a beef that I probably will not get into about Google's Chrome Cast and how that works with the OC2/MQ2.  I tell ya.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment