Wednesday, October 5, 2022

MIDI Week Singles: "Fire Keepers" - Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PC)

 


"Fire Keepers" from Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin on Windows, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, & Xbox One (2015).
Composer: Motoi Sakuraba
Album: Dark Souls II Original Soundtrack
Label: FromSoftware
Publisher: Bandai Namco Games
Developer: FromSoftware

I felt somewhat limited to the music that I have heard in Dark Souls II despite having played for 13 1/2 hours, and while "The Pursuer" does give me a bit of anxiety, which is appropriate for October, I have only heard part of the song fewer than 5 times before I have died.  "Fire Keepers" feels like a safe song because when you first talk to the group of former fire keepers, it is a safe space.  I also like that there seems to be some semblance of a melody, but it is always just out of grasp.  Almost like it is flitting away on the harp that begins and ends the song.

I also just realized that "Fire Keepers" and "Majula," which we previously covered 5 years ago, contain elements of the same melody, although in Majula it is played on the piano.  But both are sparse songs that have a vital element of comfort and safety. 


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
And You Know How I Tried

No comments:

Post a Comment