Monday, October 3, 2022

Monthly Update: October, 2022

 


I think the biggest thing last month was that I finally acquired the Steam Deck I had reserved back in March.  I will likely have an entire article up about my experience with it beyond Steam, but all I have used it for so far is playing Steam games like Dark Souls 2, Vampire Survivors, The Binding of Isaac, and thomas was alone.  I just feel like I need to explore the depths of this system in regards to playing games that are labeled as unplayable and untested as well as the number of emulators that are available to play games outside of Steam.  But I am having a blast playing PC games that have been sitting in my Steam queue for the last 10 years while lying in my bed.

This then brings up another issue, time management.  Outside of lunch breaks (like the one I find myself in right now) and weekends, the time I have to play video games is primarily right after I wake up and right before I go to bed.  Before the Steam Deck (hereto abbreviated as BSD), I would play the Switch in the mornings, PC games before going to bed, then read while in bed, or the Switch if I forgot my Kindle downstairs or forgot to charge it during the day.  Now that I can play the Steam Deck in bed, I think I will need to figure out a personal schedule for when I play each system.  Although, like any Christmas Present Syndrome, I have been in fact playing Dark Souls 2 on the Steam Deck a lot this last month.  On the Switch, I did finish Final Fantasy X and the article went up back on September 23rd.  I then jumped into another long-winded RPG, this one a Western RPG, Kingdoms of Amalur-ReReckoning which I talked about on the 12th. 

On the 3DS, we have a bit of a project for you, or at least for those of you who are interested.  Over the last couple of months, I have been playing all of the games in the 2010 Nintendo DS release of Atari Greatest Hits Vol. 1, which is a collection of 51 Atari arcade and Atari 2600 games.  The goal was to play through all of the games and decide if they were games that I enjoyed and would likely play again in the future.  This project ended up coming out to 21 articles, with three of the articles being an introduction, a summary, and final thoughts, with the remaining 18 articles covering each of the games in the collection, broken down by system and genre.  I will be releasing an article every Friday starting October 7th, although there will be weeks skipped for when there needs to be a Monthly Update article.  Anyway, there will be a full introductory article where I lay out this entire plan and all of the games included, but I at least wanted to announce it here first before launching into this multi-week, multi-month-long project.

But now that I am finished with the Atari project on the 3DS, (yes, I know it's a DS game), I have gone back to Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies.  I was a little anxious because it had been a few months since I last played it and I was hoping that I was not going to be lost like I have been when I tried to go back to Dragon Quest VI after a multi-month-long absence.  Thankfully, because of the format that thus far has moved the story forward in a linear manner, I was able to clear the next two story dungeons and pick up where I had left off.

I have not played the Oculus, sorry, Meta Quest (since the app has officially changed its name) much mainly because I had been playing Final Fantasy X in the evenings after The Squire goes to bed.  I had jumped back into Layers of Fear, which is what prompted that article back in late August.  But Conklederp and I also have a lot of streaming shows we are watching right now, to say nothing about the shows we want to watch but have not started yet.  For the most part, we are keeping up with House of the Dragon, She-Hulk, The Rings of Power, and Andor.  And then the Willow series starts at the end of next month, and then The Bad Batch Season 2 at the beginning of January.  We still have not been out to see any movies in the theatre in over two years and our released movie-watching time has mostly been taken up by either streaming shows and other hobbies that can be done between 9:30 pm and 11pm.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/ Jaconian
Terror is the Only Light 

No comments:

Post a Comment