Friday, April 7, 2023

Game EXP: Atari Greatest Hits Volume 1(NDS) -GAME OVER-

 


Well, that was a crazy-fast six months, or at least that is how I felt.

I can remember when I first started this project, playing all 51 games in Atari Greatest Hits Volume 1 on the DS, that it went through phases of feeling never-ending, and at the same time, that I was blowing through the games at an incredibly fast rate.  I first thought I would play each game for 30 minutes, but after playing a few of the arcade games, I decided that 10 minutes was a more realistic time frame, because how often do you actually spend 30 minutes at a single Atari arcade cabinet?  Even then, I thought that this might result in a handful of articles, but only once I sat down to write down my thoughts about just the arcade games, the scope of what I was doing began to expand to something larger than I had anticipated.

But I liked what this was turning into.  I liked playing the games with a set time limit since the majority of the games were all score-based and less about reaching the end of the game, although there were exceptions like the Swordquest series and Adventure, but I felt that keeping all games within the 10 minutes important for consistency as well as my own sanity.

Since completing this series, I have thought about what I will do next and I keep coming back to picking another collection of games and presenting articles in a similar manner, but there is another problem with this plan.  The collection of games I currently have are most a longer form or would require more of a time commitment than 10 minutes per game.  In SNK 40th Anniversary Collection, there are 24 titles along with console versions of a lot of the arcade games.  In Castlevania Anniversary Collection there are eight titles, with some of the titles presenting multiple regional variations.  In the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection, there are 13 games, some that could be beaten in as few as 23 minutes if you apparently know what you are doing.

The point is, I really enjoyed playing these games, some more than others, but I also liked sharing these games with whoever is reading the articles.  I liked having more of an expected schedule of sorts than what I have been used to, although still maintaining the MWF posting.  And the more I thought about it, I think it might be fun to turn something like this into an annual thing where I play, write and plan out a collection for half a year (along with other games that I want to play) and then the next 2-4 months, have regular articles every Friday (with exceptions for Monthly Updates).  I do not have another collection ready to announce just yet, which means I am at the very least another six months out from announcing anything, but maybe by next October, like when I started this whole endeavor.  Jeez, that actually puts it into a bit of perspective.

We will see.

But I hope that whoever has and/or will read the articles about the games in this collection (apart from myself) do enjoy them on some level, but if not, then I guess we will still write and post them, because why else is the Internet in existence but to shout out into the void and see if anyone answers back?



~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
With a Bottle of Rum in My Hand


No comments:

Post a Comment