Wednesday, April 19, 2023

MIDI Week Singles: "Exploring the Plains" - Baldur's Gate (PC)

 


"Exploring the Plains" from Baldur's Gate on Windows, mac OS, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch (1998, 2019)
Composer: Michael Hoenig
Album: Baldur's Gate Soundtrack & Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition Official Soundtrack
Label: Hasbro, Beamdog
Publisher: Black Isle Studios, Interplay Entertainment, & Beamdog
Developer: BioWare

I've done it again.

I started a new character in the first Baldur's Gate, and I have "Darkwell," the finale in the Moonshae Isle Trilogy to thank for this. Hinted at in the first book and revealed in the second, Bhaal, the God of Murder turns out to be the primary antagonist against the Ffolk of the Moonshaes and the Goddess of the druids, the Earthmother.  What is interesting about this trilogy is that there are times when the narrative takes the perspective of Bhaal, albeit not an attempt to make the character/God's actions as sympathetic, but why Bhaal is doing what they are doing and their relation to other Gods in the pantheon of the Forgotten Realms.  It was this perspective that made me think about the Bhaalspawn and character development of the main character (canonically named Abdel Adrian).  Then I wanted to create that character.

So I created a new character and played through the ambush.  This music first plays right after that attack as you reconnect with Imoen and like I always do, head north to the site of the ambush to loot the bodies of the attackers and Gorion.  The music also plays at other times while exploring maps and the melody is so nostalgia-filled for me that it is difficult to separate the quality of the music and how much it reminds me of that first time exploring The Forgotten Realms and the Sword Coast.  Meeting Minsc and Boo for the first time.  Being caught up in a plot that went beyond both my and my character's comprehension.  

It is a great piece of music though.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
It's Deep In Their Bones


P.S.  Although maybe I will wait until I read a few (dozen?) more books 

No comments:

Post a Comment