Friday, September 1, 2023

Monthly Update: September, 2023

 


You know, sometimes writing about video games can be difficult.  Sometimes a game lends itself well to be written about, other times, trying to figure out the best way to talk about a game's particular mechanics or story ends up creating a roadblock and all writing ceases.  Other times it just comes down to the mood I find myself in and end up putting the article off until over a year has gone by and I end up not writing at all.  There have also been a few times when I have written more than I intended and seemed to lose focus and all I have to show is a jumble of rambling words without anything coherent to say.  In more than one instance, I petered out partway through an article because I could not find an appropriate screenshot.  This has been the case for upwards of 21 games and I have finally found a way to exorcise my unfinished/unstarted/unfulfilled queue of articles for games that I have finished.  Through various combinations of circumstances, I have a backlog of games that I finished between 2016 and six months ago I have only partially written articles.  Games like DOOM (2016), Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, and Silent Hill have been patiently waiting for me to write about them, but the articles remain in various states of incomplete.  

So I decided that starting Monday, September 4th, I would start cleaning out my pile of unwritten and unfinished articles by only writing "shortened" articles and combining games together into a single article.  Some of these combinations of games will make sense, like all of the Vader Immortal VR games, while others will be a little more random like Last Day for June and SUPERHOT VR.  My plan is to give a "brief" explanation as to what I found difficult about the writing process (because I know everyone wants to know about that) followed by things that stuck out to me about each of the games and ultimately whether or not I enjoyed them.  I have broken the articles out so that they will be published each Monday and Friday in September, so if I happen to finish Tears of the Kingdom, or Final Fantasy XIII next month, I may just wait until October to publish those articles, or they may end up being included in a future series of unpublished game articles.

Now that that's out of the way.

How about Star Wars Rebels Season 5!?  Sorry, I meant the Ahsoka series on Disney+.  As a fan of both Star Wars: Clone Wars and Star Wars: Rebels, I do not have an issue with the storytelling in that it significantly helps to have the knowledge of these animated series going into this live-action show, likely because I recognize characters and some of the plotlines.  And speaking of Star Wars TV series on Disney+, I love that Disney recently announced that the first two seasons of The Mandalorian are going to receive physical releases.  I would be very surprised if this was not in some way in response to the writers/actors strikes going into their fourth and second respective months, but also to test the waters on releasing their other Star Wars series (Clone Wars: Season 7, The Bad Batch: Seasons 1 & 2, The Book of Boba Fett, Kenobi, and Andor) and I will say that I will likely be buying them all unless they are only released in a self-sabotaging Collectors Edition packaging costing $99 per season that comes packaged with a sticker sheet, one of four randomly selected pre-production art postcards, and zero special features on the discs (I actually wrote this last sentence before I found out that each season will run $49.99 for the Blu-ray which comes in a steel book packaging and three concept art cards.  Man, I hate being somewhat right).

That is really all of the TV I have been actively watching, which is to say not a whole lot.

Video games have been the same for the last month (and more) being Tears of the Kingdom, Final Fantasy XIII, occasionally Poochy & Yoshi's Wooly WorldHalo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, and Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition.  With TotK, I thought I might have been hitting a wall and experiencing waning interest 195 hours in, but then I really started exploring more of the sky islands, and then I found a treasure map with a location in the Depths on the complete other side of Hyrule, so that will likely take me another real-world-week just to get there (you know because we're not fast traveling unless it's to get out of the Depths by traveling back to the starting sky island).  I am also apparently halfway through H:CEA and FFXIII, but only if you count which chapter of the story I am on, and not in actual terms of time spent to gameplay length.

Oh, and a week from tomorrow, Conklederp and I will be going to see Dungeons & Drag Queens! (not the band) which should be a hilarious time, but also my first show/performance (not including the Pickles game a few weeks ago) since. . .checks notes. . .August 2019 when Conklederp and I saw "Weird Al" and his first Strings Attached Tour.  So yeah, it's been a while.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
Yes It Is I


P.S.  The fact that Walmart is selling each season of The Mandalorian for about $10 less than Amazon and Best Buy, makes me wonder if the actual MSRP is $39.99 and the other two vendors are gouging.  Or if Walmart is just trying to undercut the other two by getting people into their virtual store in hopes that they'll buy other stuff while purchasing The Mandalorian.

No comments:

Post a Comment