Wednesday, November 22, 2023

MIDI Week Singles: "Blinded By Light" - Final Fantasy XIII (VSD)

 


"Blinded By Light" from Final Fantasy XIII on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, & PC (2009 - 2014)
Composer: Masashi Hamauzu
Album: Final Fantasy XIII Original Soundtrack
Label: Sony Music Distribution
Publisher: Square Enix
Developer: Square Enix 1st Production Department



I get it.  I really do.  One of the last songs you want to hear again from Final Fantasy XIII is probably the normal run-of-the-mill battle music.  So much of the game is just running from one end of a winding hallway to another with one group of people and then running down another winding hallway to its end with another group of people, often fighting a lot of the same enemies, all while hearing this one particular track.  For 30+ hours.  Yeah, there's mini-boss battle music, Eidolon battle music, and boss battle music, I get it.  I'm currently 63.4 hours in, I'm still in Chapter 11.  And I just doubled back to the Archylte Steppe from some underground hallway with a giant C'ieth ball because I felt that I was actually going the right way and wanted to see more content before progressing onto Chapter 12.

I knew about this song back in 2015 when I first heard it in Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call on the 3DS, so finally hearing in the game where it originated has been great.  

I think what I like about this song is that it works well with the battle system in FF XIII.  Maybe it has something to do with the strings taking the melody for a majority of the song that lends itself well to switching between paradigms not feeling like a jarring occurrence.  Or maybe I am just making up stuff again.  Either way, even after umpteen thousand battles, I still have not gotten tired of this song, and that's saying something for battle music in a JRPG.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
Hiding In Your Twisted Game

No comments:

Post a Comment