Wednesday, November 29, 2023

MIDI Week Singles: "BGM #02" - Boxing Fever (GBA)

 


"BGM #02" from Boxing Fever on the Game Boy Advance (2001)
Composer: Mo Jen
Album: No Official Release
Publisher: Majesco Sales, Inc 
Developer: Digital Fiction Inc.


I came across Boxing Fever while listening to Game Boy Advance soundtracks so I haven't actually played this game.  When I looked up gameplay videos to find out where this particular song was featured, I came to a couple of conclusions.  First, the music, I think, is tied to where you are boxing, not specifically who you are boxing against.  Of the videos I watched, there seemed to be a pattern with particular boxers only being fought in a specific location, such as Hammer from Hungary was always fighting in the Irish boxing ring, which used BGM #03, and Maiagaru always fighting in the Japan ring, which used BGM #04.  But I saw a couple videos where Wendy fought in both the Irish ring and the West African ring.

Of all of the videos I watched, I only heard this particular song played when going up against Tiny, who is from Canada, so this could be the theme for the Canada ring (which would make sense with the red and white ropes) or another ring that I did not see outside of this particular video.  If this is the music for a boxing match in Canada, my first thought is that I'm surprised it's as guitar heavy up front as it is, although apart from "Oh Canada" or maybe "My Heart Will Go On," I don't know if I could tell you what of a single national song that would unify all of Canada would sound like.  But the guitars for those first 15 seconds sound like it's from a completely different song than the fanfaric back half of the song, although I do love the melody of the second half of the song.

It's just the weird mishmash of the song's melodies and what this song is supposed to be representative of, which is why I needed to share it with someone.  So thank you and you're welcome.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
Instrumental

No comments:

Post a Comment