Friday, December 1, 2023

Monthly Update: December, 2023

 


It's December.  It's the end of the year, which I guess is what December is all about.  Good on you December.

I don't have any Game of the Year predictions because apart from The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, which I may or may not have still not finished when this goes to print, I don't think I've played any other game that was also released this year.  Hold on. . . Okay, that's not true as I apparently forgot everything that was released before May 12th.  I did play Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Final Bar Line, Mighty DOOM, The Lord of the Rings: Heroes of Middle Earth (no article, yet?), and F-Zero 99.  I also started 9 Years of Shadow, but not enough to write about it yet.  I also played the demo for Lies of P, and I played a few hours of Diablo IV until I reached the end of the game trial when I hit level 20.  So I guess I did play more than the one game released this year that has currently consumed over 260 hours of my life.

Yeah, plenty of games too that I haven't gotten to yet, like the Dead Space remake, Baldur's Gate 3, Dredge, Dave the Diver, Super Mario Bros. Wonder, Slay the Princess, The Callisto Protocol (wait, that was December, 2022), or any other video game that you love I didn't mention.  I also bought Octopath Traveler II but wanted to finish Triangle Strategy first, and I also backed and received Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened, a remake by Frogwares of their original 2007 game of the same name; I actually have the first game too on GOG and I wasn't sure if I wanted to play that first before the remake.

In other media, Conklederp and I enjoyed the first (and hopefully not the last) season of Ahsoka, and we just started the new season (season 5) of Fargo.  Was that it?  We haven't watched any of the Phase 4 movies this year (sorry, Phase 5, although we actually haven't seen any of the Phase 4 movies released one and two years ago either) and I feel like we've just fallen so far behind all of the continuing storylines after the first season of She-Hulk: Attorney at Law that catching up will be exceedingly difficult; although we also didn't watch The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, What If...?, Hawkeye, or either of the specials either.  So that means there are currently 15 shows and movies released in the last three years. . .hooboy.

I don't know why I just fixated on the MCU there.

But movies. . . I think the only movie I've seen released this year was The Super Mario Bros Movie.  And now there's talk about a live-action Legend of Zelda movie, which I have mixed feelings about, but I will save that for its own separate article because I just accidentally wrote one while writing this Monthly Update.

So moving on from movies made from video games and to only video games to wrap this up.  As mentioned way up top there, I am still (as of right now) playing Tears of the Kingdom because I have very semi-specific self-imposed rules for fast traveling and even though it's probably been over 20 hours since I last found and solved a shrine, there's still just so much to explore.  I know I need to go back to the desert because apart from doing the Lightning Temple quest, I really have yet to do much exploring of that area; except the sand-pit dungeon in the center of the four giant statues that I never solved.  I am also about 65 hours into Final Fantasy XIII and as I told Dr. Potts the other day, I have spent just over 21 hours in Chapter 11.  I did manage to beat a handful of games though, one being BIT.TRIP Presents...Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien after I realized that I hadn't actually beaten it back in 2013 (Did I never write about it!?).  I also beat CRUMBLE, which I already discussed last Monday, and then over last weekend, I proceeded to play and beat Inside over the course of two nights (the first night I stayed up until 3:30 AM).  I guess I also did beat the main levels in Celeste a while back, but I wanted to hold off on an article until after I had beaten "The Core," but I still need to find one or two more of the large hearts to even access that final stage.

So that's really December for me.  I think.  I'm sure I've forgotten something somewhere.

Ah well, there's always January.



~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment