Wednesday, March 6, 2024

MIDI Week Singles: "It's Going to Change Everything!" - Human Resource Machine (NS)

 


"It's Going to Change Everything!" from Human Resource Machine on Windows, OS X, Nintendo Switch, Android, Wii U, Linux, iOS (2015)
Composer: Kyle Gabler
Album: Human Resource Machine Original Soundtrack
Label: Self Released
Publisher: Tomorrow Corporation
Developer: Tomorrow Corporation


Leave it to me to not finish a game after putting a couple of hours into it because I'm apparently too stubborn and prideful to look up a walkthrough to help with some, for me at least, very complicated puzzles.  But that was me with Human Resource Machine from The Tomorrow Corporation.  But why does that self-admission have to do with today's song?  Because this is the last song on the soundtrack and the title alone I feel like hints at the outcome of the story.  In the game, you are using single-function coding language tiles to solve puzzles to help automate a number puzzle.  For example,

"For each two things in the INBOX, first subtract the 1st from the 2nd and put the result in the OUTBOX. AND THEN, subtract the 2nd from the 1st and put the result in the OUTBOX. Repeat." 

Often there are optional challenges like "Use 10 or fewer commands" and "Complete in 40 or fewer steps."  When things click, the game makes you feel like a genius, and other times, you feel like you're just learning how to add 1 + 1 while the whole class is waiting for you to finish so they can start long division.

I'll likely go back to this game because I love The Tomorrow Corporation and I really want to see how the Blade Runner adjacent synth plays into the story.  I just love Kyle Gabler's music as there's often a depth of emotion that you may not have been expecting when you started your first day at work.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
No Compromise


P.S.  I'll leave this here just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment