Tuesday, June 21, 2016

MTG: Eldritch Moon reveals

this is the art for Emrakul: The promised end

I mentioned in my previous post that I've really been enjoying Shadows over Innistrad, the latest set of Magic The Gathering cards.  The companion set is called Eldritch Moon and will be released July 22nd.  As of this writing, one card has been revealed from the upcoming set, and it was a big reveal.  Emrakul, the third Eldrazi titan, has come to Innistrad.  The full effects of her rise have not yet been described, though it's been a long held fan theory that her presence has been the force that drove mad the Angels of Innistrad.  The card itself gives you the ability to control your opponent for a full turn, which is a pretty sweet ability. 

The inclusion of Emrakul is very cool, and thematically appropriate, I think.  I anticipate a heavy thematic swing from Gothic Horror to Eldritch Horror and a ramping up of the theme of madness and delirium.  The other spoiled image from Eldritch moon indicates that Wizards may have gone full John Carpenter.  I mean, this image of the Eldrazi Angel is frankly disgusting.  I like it. 


hideous eldrazi angel

I'm curious as to how they're planning on balancing the set design.  It seems as though things on Innistrad are degenerating fully into chaos.  In the Battle for Zendikar block, (the previous two sets), half of every color was devoted to Eldrazi creatures spawned from the other Titans, Ulamog and Kozilek.  From what I can tell, it looks like Emrakul will be perverting the living creatures on Innistrad into her own disgusting horrors.  I wonder if the set will be similarly split between Eldrazi and non-eldrazi, or if the Eldrazi will have a smaller, but more horrific presence.    I wonder how much of the original flavor of Innistrad will be lost to the rise of Emrakul. I'm looking forward to finding out.

-D

1 comment:

  1. I didn't understand any of the proper nouns you used here but it all sounds so bloody exciting! I'll just watch from the nosebleed seats and enjoy the ensuing madness from here.

    ReplyDelete