Wednesday, January 31, 2018

MIDI Week Singles: "Temple of Anubis" - Overwatch (PC, PS4, XBO)


"Temple of Anubis" from Overwatch on the PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One (2016)
Composer: Derek Duke



I know Overwatch.  

Okay.  I know of Overwatch but I have never played the game as I have never gotten into MOBAs as a genre, but when I have played them, I have really only played Team Fortress 2.  Earlier in the year, as in a few weeks ago, and partly due to an Instagram account we follow who showcases video game music a few times a week (gametracks), I got to thinking that branching out a bit from game soundtracks that I already have to soundtracks to games that I have never played might be a fun way of exploring new music.  So Overwatch it was, since it's apparently a fairly popular game, so I've heard anyway.

After listening to the soundtrack, I landed on "Temple of Anubis" and I was kind of irritated by that because I felt that "Temple of Anubis" was written in order for it to be a well liked song.  Sort of how, more often than not, a single from an album will be one of the more popular songs off of that album.   But what I do like about this song, is that it feels like a combination of The Mummy (the 19 year old one with Brendan Fraser), the first Assassin's Creed, and club music from 2008.  

Now, I do not know what is going on in the Temple of Anubis or why a bunch of people are trying to shoot each other in said temple, but at least there are some rollicking tunes.  Now I cannot say that this song (or the soundtrack as a whole) makes me want to go out and buy Overwatch only to find that my computer could barely handle it, but that is not to say that, again, it is some pretty good music and worth a listen.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment