Wednesday, January 24, 2018

MIDI Week Singles: "The Great Warrior" - Final Fantasy VII (PSX)


"The Great Warrior" from Final Fantasy VII on the PlayStation, PC, iOS, PlayStation4, & Android (1997)
Composer: Nobuo Uematsu
Label: DigiCube
Developer: Squaresoft


I was having a conversation with Conklederp late last week about Final Fantasy VII, specifically that I do not hate the game.  I do think that it is one of the more overrated games, but I do not hate it.  One of the key reasons for that is the music (but don't get me wrong, I severely lament the victory fanfare that was written over what before that point, is what had always been and sounds more victorious).  But the piece of music that I wanted to bring up today from FF VII was "The Great Warrior,"  the piece that plays during Red XIII's return to Cosmo Canyon and when he finds out the truth about his father whom he had always thought had abandoned him and his mother.

What I like about this theme, is that despite all of the flaws in FF VII, this cue and the story associated with it have an emotional impact on me; possibly even more so than Aerith's death scene.  The theme here sounds like it was Seto's theme, and later because of his sacrifice, it develops and becomes the theme of Cosmo Canyon.

I am 99.47% positive that people have written dissertations on Nobuo Uematsu's music from Final Fantasy VII, so I will leave it at that I really love this piece in particular, out of an entire 85 track soundtrack with a good number of songs.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment