Wednesday, May 24, 2017

MIDI Week Singles: "BGM" - Mr. Do's Castle (Arcade)


"BGM" from Mr. Do's Castle on the Arcade, Atari 2600/5200/8-bit, MSX, ColecoVision, Commador 64 (1983)
Composer: Unknown
Album: No Official Release
Developer: Universal


I came upon this game this last weekend while at a barcade in SoCal called The One Up.  While there with Conklederp and Beardsnbourbon (whose idea it was to go), Conklederp found a game that she had only heard of from her parents who used to frequently play this game enough to know the theme music when it was shared that this game was played the previous night.

After a bit of searching, I was unfortunately I was unable to find any information about who wrote the theme from Mr. Do's Castle.  Something interesting that I did find out was that the main theme was present in each iteration of Mr. Do's Castle, which I feel says something about the music used.  Or for all I know, it is a pre-existing song like the theme to the first game in the series, Mr. Do! which is just a small section from "The Infernal Galop" from Jacques Offenbach's Orpheus in the Underworld.

Now, I admit that I only briefly watched over Conklederp's shoulder while she played this and at the time, I could not hear the music as the general noise inside was quite loud and all but the loudest and harshest of sound effects could be heard.  And after giving Mr. Do's Castle a go (and getting to Level 3), I can say that the song is catchy enough, although the game is too similar to BurgerTime for me to feel that I will be anything but a casual player, but I do love that you can move the stairs, and that falling does not kill Mr. Do.  Maybe I will be giving the game a legit try when I see it in an arcade or next time we make it back to The One Up.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment