Wednesday, July 4, 2018

MIDI Week Singles: "Boss Battle 1" - G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero (NES)


"Boss Battle 1" from G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero on the Nintendo Entertainment System (1991)
Composer: Nobuyuki Shioda
Album: No Official Release
Developer: KID


If you happen to be in the United States, or are a citizen of this country, then I guess this song applies to however you want it to apply to whatever you want it to apply to.  Because 'murica! and because it is presently our Independence Day!

Not having ever played this game despite having watched a fair amount of the G.I. Joe cartoon as a wee kid, and played the board game quite a bunch, the NES game never seemed to interest me for whatever reason.  So when I came upon the music earlier last week during my #AllTheNESMusic listening, I thought that using for today would be appropriate.  I also thought that as boss music, it works, but at the same time, doesn't(?).  

It works in that, to me, it sounds very much like boss (or at the very least) mini-boss style music.  There is a franticness to the melody that clearly states it is not intended for your basic stage or level, but for fighting a single strong enemy in a single screen.  I do not know how or why I feel this is the case, but that is what it sounds like to me.  However, I feel that it does not quite work in that the melody itself seems kind happy go-lucky, but not in the same insanity way that "Majora's Incarnate Battle" did in The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.  But that melody only lasts for about 13 seconds before it goes into a frantic "Get Out of THERE!" section that plays for another 15 seconds before the song repeats.  But I really think that that 13 seconds of where the melody is the strongest is where and why the song holds together, which is why I find it so catchy.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment