Wednesday, July 11, 2018

MIDI Week Singles: "Production" - Conflict (NES)


"Production"* from Conflict on the Nintendo Entertainment System (1989)
Composer: Michiharu Hasuya
Album: No Official Release
Developer: Vic Tokai


When I began listening to the music from Conflict, some of it sounded familiar, but not so familiar that I could place it.  Then the music for when the player enters the production screen to build up their army, my ears perked up and summers spent during the early '90s came flooding back.  In short, Conflict is a turn based strategy game akin to Advance Wars.

I borrowed Conflict a lot from DellaƱos and I am 94.7% positive that I watched him play it at his place as well as at my parents.  I am pretty sure we played against each other, often with someone wanting to pick the Red Team since they had what we felt were the superior MiGs, which I believe was typically Player 2. 

Realizing that this song is only 14 seconds long was a bit of a surprise, and if anything, shows you that the developers probably did not expect people to be on the production screen for longer than 30 seconds.  Not being the brilliant strategist, I know I spent a lot of time looking at the production screen, trying to determine which units to produce, weighing my options as far as cost, production time, and overall power of the unit.  I probably spent more time on this screen than what might be considered strategic, if only because I would second guess my choices, as well as trying to plan ahead thinking about what better options I could have if I only had more resources.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian
Everyone Knows All About My Direction


*P.S. I should also mention that "Production" is not the official title of the song.  Since there was no official soundtrack (that I could find) I was likewise unable to find any official track names, so I went with what I found in the manual for the game, which on page 11 talks about the production of units, so that was the title I decided to go with.

No comments:

Post a Comment