Wednesday, July 18, 2018

MIDI Week Singles: "The Leviathan" - Dead Space (PC)


"The Leviathan" from Dead Space on the PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 (2008)
Composer: Jason Graves
Label: E.A.R.S.



If you have been following our Instagram account recently, you will have noticed that I may have accidentally started playing Dead Space (for the third time?) last week, which seems appropriate as the game turns 10 years old this October. 

What draws me to this song, similar to my decision to use "Welcome to the U.S.G. Ishimura" last December, is that unlike a lot of the hellish soundscape that is the Dead Space soundtrack, I like what melody exists in "The Leviathan."  There is a bit in this song to unpack.  From the introductory chords that introduce the massiveness when Isaac sees the Leviathan in all of its fleshy horribleness for the first time (although in-game it definitely seems like this section was cut off), to what is the highlight of the entire peace starting at around 0:33 seconds.

If you are not one for songs, let alone video game music, that is not melody based, that I can understand your reason for skipping us this week.  However, if you are one who enjoys some great creepy and tense music that puts you in the mindset of going up against some astral horror in the bowels of a ship infested with reanimated corpses of your fiance's friends, then this is probably for you.

I also recently finished killing this beast on my current playthrough, which is probably why it was in my mind to include it today.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment