Wednesday, October 24, 2018

MIDI Week Singles: "Player Select" - Major League Baseball (NES)




"Player Select" from Major League Baseball on the Nintendo Entertainment System (1988)

Composers: Tsukasa Masuko
Album: No Official Release
Developer: Atlus





Today is day two of the 2018 World Series, and since we do not want to get sued here at Stage Select Start (and not at all because this post might have been written before the first game was played), we are not going to mention the outcome of last night's first game of the series.  But woo boy was that one play a doozey, but go Dodgers! 




I decided to use "Player Select" from the 1988 NES game Major League Baseball, partly because it was the only baseball game that I owned on the NES, but also because there really is not a whole lot of music in this game.  I spent a lot of time in the late '80s and early '90s frequently play as the Los Angeles Dodgers, unless I wanted to play in the American League, and then I would play as the Toronto Blue Jays because they had (at least) two players on their team who had batting averages above .400.  And playing the All Star Game, I would always play as the American League because they seemed to have rosters of better batters and pitchers compared to the National League.  I guess I could look at the 1987 stats to see if there was any truth to this theory I had.  




Being a somewhat simplistic baseball game, I think the only reason to enter the player select screen apart from choosing your roster at the start of the game was to swap out pitchers when they started slowing down, or to bring in a pinch hitter.  That was when this song would play, and even now looking at the player select screen and hearing this music brings back all kinds of good childhood memories, of apparently playing a video game by myself in front of the TV and trying to ignore my family.




Ahhh, good ol' nostaglia, and isn't that why baseball is America's past time?






~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment