Monday, October 1, 2018

Monthly Update: October 2018


September ended up being a slightly different month gaming-wise than I had originally thought, with games that I had played a couple of years ago coming back into the fray, a game that over the last 10 weeks had spent over 100 hours playing, and games that I do think I had every previously played before.  Board games have not really been happening though, but out Facebook Dungeons & Dragoning has seen a couple of updates each week which has progressed the story in a way that I have been very happy with, including one accidental event that I may actually take time to write about here if I could find a way to have in make sense in written form for those not familiar either with D&D or our group.

Around the beginning of September, Vorlynx and his family came up to visit, partly because we live up here, but also because he was filling in on bass for a friends' band that was playing up in Washington.  While up, I introduced him and Chreekat to the pre-alpha release of TABS, aka Totally Accurate Battle Simulator, which I had not really tooled around with for quite some time.  After that, and to continue with the hilarity that comes with video games and beer, I showed them Rock of Ages, which we played all the way up to the Renaissance and then were not able to build up our defenses fast enough, and avoid the wrath of the War Pope.  The following evening, saw Streets of Rage 2 being pulled up on the Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics client on Steam, which I had never before played, much to the chagrin of 2004 Retro Gamer editors.  After making through a number of stages, I downloaded the Battletoads mod so we played up until the Turbo Tunnels, but trying to get through that one two players is some other kind of difficult.

I am now solidly in the middle of Dead Space 3, and this time around, I have become paranoid about building the best gun that I can without consulting the Internet for advice, although I know I could just pop over to the Dead Space subreddit and get a lungful of advice.  I think I want something similar to Ripley's pulse rifle/flame thrower from Aliens, but I just need to find the right parts and attachments to make it do what I want.  I am still very sad about Visceral Games, but I think after Dead Space, I will do another runthrough of Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem and write about it here after a nearly 8 year absence from that game.

With the end of September saw the end of Season 5 of Fortnite, and the start of Season 6.  I decided that I would not purchase the Season 6 Battle Pass even though I had more than enough V Bucks to cover the cost without spending any real money (that's what happens when you Scrooge McDuck your V Bucks by not spending any of them during the entire season.  I figured that I would hold off playing Fortnite as much as I did last season, if only to give my brain a rest and focus more on games that I bought, like Battle Chasers: Nightwar.  I feel like I am making a final push to finish that game, which has been a real blast and will definitely garner a Game EXP article by the end of the month.  That being said, I did replace Fortnite with Paladins - Champions of the Realm for my free game of the month.  I may get around to talking a bit about Paladins, but at the moment, I do not see myself putting as much time into that as I did with Fortnite.  Maybe Arena of Valor next month?

For future game releases, I am really looking forward to the 19th, which is still the tentative release date for Dark Souls on the Switch.  Presently, I and very much considering doing a Deprived run, partly because I want the challenge, but mainly because I love the idea of fully customizing my character into whatever I want them to be.  Although I am honestly not looking forward to the Asylum Demon fight.  And for games that I will have to wait longer to play, there is The Evil Within, which I recently discovered had a playable demo on Steam.  What I also discovered was that my computer maxed out at 10 fps and would frequently play at a fluctuating 8-9 fps, which is genuinely not playable at that state.  I could play through if there were occasional dips down to 10, but when the starting area is consistently at 8-9, before anything begins attacking you, you know you are going to have a bad time.

And D&D as mentioned earlier in the month, has been progressing better than I could have expected, which is what I already said.  But it is progressing in a more input laden manner than I had intended, but that is something that I am perfectly okay with.  In the current event, I gave the PCs a description of what was happening as well as a list of 'choose one' options.  However, being the group that I love, they voted, but then added comments in order to help further color the encounter.  As each person commented, I replied with how I felt the interaction would go, figuring that this was only a few seconds before I had the event proceed to its next step, which will probably happen tomorrow, October 2nd.

Why don't we leave it there for our look back at September and glimpse ahead to October?  There will be plenty of time to talk as the month progresses.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian
Won't You Please Follow Me?

No comments:

Post a Comment