Wednesday, October 3, 2018

MIDI Week Singles: "Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark" - Ori and the Blind Forest (PC)


"Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark" from Ori and the Blind Forest on the PC, Xbox One (2015)
Composer: Gareth Coker
Developer: Moon Studios


This is the second time we have featured Gareth Coker's score from Ori and the Blind Forest, but this time around, it is a different theme altogether.  I actually got around to playing this soundtrack while at work since I will usually play orchestral music, which some people in the office tend to like more than top 40.  So, while playing this soundtrack, I was away from my desk and could still hear the music, and I heard one of my coworkers humming along to this theme.  And this track happens pretty late in the soundtrack, so I know that by that point it was already somewhat stuck in her head.

As was the case three years ago when Dr. Potts first featured "Naru and Embracing the Light," I still have not gotten around to playing Ori and the Blind Forest, but actually sitting down and listening to this music has only strengthened that desire.

But as for this song in particular, I like the transformation the song goes through.  It starts out really strong and sounds like it is about to go into a Final Fantasy-esque boss battle theme, but then at nearly 30 seconds, you get this wonderfully beautiful piano melody with backing strings that basically runs the rest of the song.

I really should get around to playing this game.  On my computer, because it's a Microsoft property and will never see its way to the Switch.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment