Wednesday, November 21, 2018

MIDI Week Singles: "Still, the Road is Full of Dangers" - Super Mario RPG (SNES)


"Still, the Road is Full of Dangers" from Super Mario RPG on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (1996)
Composer: Yoko Shimomura
Developer: Square
Publisher: Nintendo


I asked Beardsnbourbon earlier for a game without giving him any context and he told me Super Mario RPG, and I immediately knew which song I wanted to use for today's MIDI Week Single.  The two main reasons I used "Still, the Road is Full of Dangers" is because it is one of my favorite songs from the game, but also because Beardsnbourbon and Co. drove the stupidly long distance of 1250+ miles yesterday to get to us here in the PNW.  Hopefully though their road was not full of dangers, although it looked like they might have passed through upwards of 12 construction zones and possibly two cleared accidents.  But at least they arrived safely last night.

The great thing about this song, is that it contains a number of melodies from "The Road is Full of Dangers" heard earlier in the game, but is seems that once Mario ventures to the Mushroom Kingdom, all of the grandeur heard in "Hello, Happy Kingdom" gets transferred to this iteration of the song.  There are a few other road traveling songs in the game, depending on your location, but "Still. . ." is by far my favorite.

So happy safe travels to Beardsnbourbon both on their trip here and on their return voyage home next week.  I may have to come up with an appropriate returning home track. . .



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment