Wednesday, May 22, 2019

MIDI Week Singles: "Gris, Pt. 1" - Gris (NS,PC, macOS)


"Gris, Pt. 1" from Gris on the Nintendo Switch, PC, and macOS (2018)
Composer: Berlinist
Label: Self Published
Publisher: Devolver Digital
Developer: Nomada Studio



First off, I have not played Gris, although it is very much on my radar and a game that I am definitely going to get around to playing.  And this track from the soundtrack only cements that desire to play even more so.

From about 1:18 when the synth-sounding instrument comes in and I start getting Blade Runner vibes, to 1:35ish when the organ comes in and the song continues to build and build, I kind of wish that it would continue to build in strength and emotion for another 10 minutes.  Maybe akin to Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings?  But I am willing to guess that the sudden die off around the two minute mark is related to in-game events and letting that build up of emotion hang there in the air, as opposed to cutting the song off so that the loop back to the beginning is less obvious?

The point is, this song is gorgeously beautiful and now I am having to stay myself from just outright buying the game.  Maybe next month.  And do not be surprised to find another track from Gris featured in our MIDI Week Singles in the coming year.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment