Wednesday, March 11, 2020

MIDI Week Singles: "Guile's Theme" - Street Fighter II Turbo (SNES)


"Guile's Theme" from Street Fighter II Turbo on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System and Damn Near Everything Else in the Multiverse (1992)
Album: [Not Sure If There Is One Specifically for the SNES Music]
Publisher: Capcom
Developer: Capcom



Over the years, I never did play a lot of Street Fighter II, either in the arcades or at home.  Growing up and being a teenager in 1993 with a limited income, I had to borrow games a lot and one of my friends up the street did have a copy of Street Fighter II, but wouldn't let me borrow it because the game was still too new for him.  And my parents were against me buying the game because the did not like the idea of a fighting game, let alone a fighting game where you could have men fighting women.  Then whenever I was in an arcade, I would frequently have my ass handed to me by other players and the computer.  So Street Fighter II was never in my wheelhouse of games that I excelled at.  

For this reason, I was never too familiar with the music in the games and never gave the series much of a second thought, especially after Killer Instinct came out and sided myself in the rendered goodness of Rare's fighter over the cartoony appearance of Capcom's seemingly aging series.  And then seven years ago (holy hell) Smooth McGroove did an amazing acapella cover of the song and whenever I hear this song in-game (or anywhere else for that matter), I cannot help but think of that cover.  I mean, Yoko Shimomura is an amazing composer, and I do think Guile's theme is one of the catchier ones from the game and stands by itself without any assistance, but I definitely think that Smooth's cover has helped elevate this song for me from something of a nice tune to one that I actively listen to whenever it comes on.



~JWfW/JDub/Cooking Crack/Jaconian
ᛒᛟᚱᛖᚨᛚ ᚺᛁᛗᚾ



P.S.  I decided to use the song, mainly because every night when I go to clean out our cat's litterbox, I will usually find him going to use it at the same time, so I'll pop into the next room, boot up the SNES Classic and play a couple rounds of Street Fighter II Turbo, hence using this game specifically and not the original 1992 SNES release.

No comments:

Post a Comment