Wednesday, July 29, 2020

MIDI Week Singles: "Take Us Back" - The Walking Dead: The Complete First Season (NS)



"Take Us Back" from The Walking Dead: The Complete First Season on nearly every gaming platform ever (2012)
Composer: Alela Diane
Album: To Be Still
Label: Rough Trade
Publisher: Skybound Games
Developer: Telltale Games



Last weekend I finished replaying The Walking Dead: The Complete First Season on the Nintendo Switch. "Take Us Back" by Alela Diane is the closing credits song after the final episode in the first season and I am kind of surprised I hadn't looked up the artist or the album back in 2014.

Now, lyrics analysis is not one of my strong suits, so since this song was chosen to be played during the end credits as opposed to it being written specifically for the game, I could probably do a really bad job of guessing how the lyrics could be interpreted into the world of The Walking Dead.  Instead, I will just say that after the last 10 minutes of Episode 5 "No Time Left," the solemnness of the song was a perfect match in feeling and tone.  Plus the title of the song and the chorus of "Take us back/ take us back/ take us, take us back" acted like a cry for a world lost, and a return to simpler and less chaotic times.  And that is not entirely untrue these days either, although with significantly fewer zombies.  There's your lyric analysis!

It is a pretty song and the only one that I know from Alela Diane.  So maybe I will just listen to more.



~JWfW/JDub/Cooking Crack/Jaconian
Instrumental

No comments:

Post a Comment