Friday, July 31, 2020

#DiscoverIndies: Apocalipsis: Wormwood Edition - Harry at the End of the World (NS)



Like a lot of games that catch my eye while browsing in the Nintendo eShop, Apocalipsis: Wormwood Edition looked interesting, and the title alone... yeah, I am a sucker of apocalyptic stories.  The game is a point-and-click adventure but somewhat stripped down compared to other titles like Thimbleweed Park and even The Office Quest.  In Apocalipsis, all of the items you need to proceed through the puzzles in the single screen, are all located in that screen.  You do not have to constantly try out items on objects hoping that they will work, breaking immersion (kind of), and turning the game into a chore rather than an experience.


I feel like for this game, I just want to share a bunch of the screenshots because that was the biggest draw for me.  I did enjoy the story, somewhat posthumously (in terms of finishing the game), and it was only after finishing the game did I realize that there are multiple endings, possibly based on how many flowers you find throughout the game, as well as the order of the items you select to turn into a potion in the end of the game.  For me, I was just trying to pick up stuff and then haphazardly made whatever poisonous concoction that earned me the Bad Ending.  But that really depends on your take on the game as I thought that the ending was fairly fitting for the character.  Kind of.



As I mentioned in last Monday's article, there is a lot to unpack in this game, both in terms in the decision to use woodcuts as the predominant art style, and then there is the story itself which involves the character of Harry in his adventure/quest to rescue his love, Luka.  The story to Apocalipsis is revealed as you play the game, and for me, it was not until I had finished the game and reread all of the mid-scene narrations that the story really made sense.



Perhaps the decision was to spread the story throughout the entire game rather than right at the beginning because there is no talking between the characters, all of the stories are given during these narrated scenes from Harry's memory.  Like I mentioned, it was only after I finished the game and was looking back through the screenshots, rereading the screens that gave the voiceover narration, did the entire story click for me.  Definitely one of those "Ahhhhhh, moments."  Some of the more obscure scenes still escape me as I am sure there is some deeper meaning behind the character and design choices.



Really it just boils down to if you like point-and-click adventure games with minimal inventory management.  Since all of the items you need to complete the puzzles are all located in the screen you start in, some moments may devolve to clicking anywhere and everywhere on the screen hoping that something gets picked up that you might be able to use elsewhere on the screen.  It did feel quite good not having to look up a walkthrough guide to get through this game, and that there was not anything that led me to overthink many of the puzzles.



Now to play the prequel, One Night in the Woods, which thankfully comes bundled in the Wormwood Edition, and I am hoping that the story will flow a little better now that I know the generalized events that lead to Harry on his quest to save and have my own head-canon for what happens.



~JWfW/JDub/Cooking Crack/Jaconian

Instrumental


P.S.
One last for the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment