Friday, December 3, 2021

Monthly Update: December, 2021



We are going to be all over the place with this, so just hang on.

November is coming to a close (as of the writing of this sentence).  Oregon is on the way down as far as the number of daily COVID-19 infections go, so that is a good thing.  The United States as a whole is starting to inch back up (including hospitalization and ICU admittance numbers) from the divot we were digging for the last couple of months.  And now there is Omicron on the horizon, first discovered in South Africa (although seemingly not where this variant originated) but already has spread to several countries in Europe and Israel and at least two confirmed cases in the United States.  As alarming as this is going into the middle of the end of the year holiday season, there is still not enough information and data about how the vaccines work against Omicron and all the word I have read is that there is cause for concern, but not a cause to panic.

In other news, the shooter in Kenosha, WI was found not guilty on all charges related to his self-defense case, held in a state where apparently only his safety and ability to defend himself was considered and not the safety and ability to defend themselves against an active shooter.  Apparently, there can only be one good guy with a gun.  Then three white supremacists were all found guilty of stalking, hunting down, and murdering Ahmaud Aubrey because he was a black man jogging through a neighborhood; yes, I know about the lead up to Ahmaud Aubrey being murdered and that there had been neighborhood reports of break-ins at construction sites but if you were about to say that detaining Ahmaud was even remotely justified because of the fear that neighbors had, then you are part of the problem.  And while we are (briefly) on about parts of problems, wealthy white privilege is a long-standing perpetrator and benefactor of this system.

And lastly, there is the case before the US Supreme Court that is advocating for States Rights over the right to bodily autonomy for women.  The case being made by Mississippi sounds a lot like the Lost Cause justification for the Civil War.  They are not fighting to remove the rights of women, they're fighting for states' rights to determine their own laws because people in Mississippi are inherently different from those in New York with different lives and different values (an actual point made by Mississippi).  I guess this is part of what used to make America great?

[Insert meaningful transition here because I suck at it]

I also picked up another #IndieSelect title late last week which I had intended to have an article up yesterday, but the game proved too difficult to get through in any meaningful way, so it is likely that instead of a full Game EXP, I will be posting a First Impressions article on Tuesday.  Maybe.

I also wanted to briefly mention that there will likely be some articles thrown in the mix for games that I finished a while ago (over a year in at least one case) and had only partially finished articles for, which is possibly why the Game EXP for Call of Cthulhu felt a little out of the blue.  Games like >observer_, Blair Witch, and New Super Mario Bros. are three off of the top of my head, and then I may decide if I want to finish and send out a couple articles about a few books I have read over the last couple of months, mostly Star Wars books, but also the 1995 Koji Suzuki book Death and the Flower.  The point is, finding time to write all of my thoughts down in a coherent manner can be time-consuming when I am not at work.

And for all of you Fornite fans and people who like to declare that it is a dead game because Pump was removed, but it's back now, but it's still a dead game because B.R.U.T.Es are a broken mechanic that is totally OP and BrINg BAcK ThE CHaPtER ONE maP BEcAUse TiLTEd ToWErS Is THe OnLY PlacE SwEAtS Can'T tO LanD AT!!1!1!!.  Anyway, I was kind of surprised when Chapter 2 Season 9 was declared the end of Chapter 2 seeing as how Chapter 1 went to 10 Seasons and it just looks a lot better, or at least that is how I feel.  I am interested to see what Chapter 3 will entail and how collaborations with other IPs will factor into the game's mythology.  I guess we will probably find out on/around Tuesday, or a week from Thursday, or Sunday, Monday, Friday, Wednesday, Saturday, or Monday.

I have been having a lot of fun with the Wii U, having finished Metroid Fusion, Metroid: Zero Mission, and New Super Mario Bros.; I have an article planned for NSMB, but that might come out close to the middle of December or sometime in January as I see that I already have several articles in the finish writing queue that I have been sitting on for some time.  It has almost gotten to the point where I am debating if I even want to continue with some of these articles as it has been some time since I last played the games that I am attempting to sound knowledgeable about.

I am also nearing the end of Professor Layton and the Unwound Future on the 3DS (DS game on the 3DS mind you) and I will likely have an article up about that, especially since I am finding the puzzles to be of either lesser quality or that there is more ambiguity in deciphering the puzzles than what I remember from previous games.  And then there are the mini-games that seem very out of place and not at all connected to the main game and story.  But I will get to all of that in the article, but now at least you know where my thoughts are in this third game in the established Professor Layton series.

And speaking of games that I have not played yet, I added only two new titles to my Switch queue during the week leading up to and the few days after Thanksgiving.  I picked up Inside and Conarium, coincidentally games I already received free on the Epic Game Store, but with the frequency that I play PC games these days, I knew that I would actually get to them having them on the Switch.  Plus I was able to use only eShop Gold Coins buying them, so that felt pretty good too; I must have gotten some when I registered the Wii U to my existing Nintendo ID and it does not look like I can use the Gold Coin currency on either the 3DS or Wii U eShops, so the Switch it is.



~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment