Friday, December 10, 2021

Thoughtful and In-Depth Analysis of The Game Awards 2021

 


¯\_(ツ)_/¯





That was genuinely going to be the entire article about The Game Awards until I really started thinking about things.  I did participate in the voting process, I do know several of the titles that were nominated and I have played at least one game that won an award.  I do not follow e-sports but that's just because it doesn't interest me and not because I think it's a waste of time.  I also know that there were going to be a number of game reveal trailers last night BUT HOLY DAMN can we just take a moment and reflect on that trailer for Star Wars Eclipse for a god damn second!?

Okay, moving on.

I had thought about doing a short list of the nominated games I have played (those only being Metroid Dread and Fortnite) along with the percentage of games that I have heard of and/or interest me, but that seemed to go against my initial thought of ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I guess I was a little surprised that Resident Evil 4 won for Best VR game, originally being a 16-year-old game adapted to VR, but maybe that says something about the porting process and the longevity of the game, even if it was not one of my favorite Resident Evil titles.  I was also surprised that Metroid Dread won for Best Action/Adventure game especially going up against Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy and Resident Evil: Village, but that is probably just my pessimism about Nintendo games in the arena of game awards (unless it is a mainline Legend of Zelda or Super Mario title).

Going back/onto game reveal trailers, I already mentioned Star Wars Eclipse so we will leave that one alone.  I saw that a trailer was released for Hellblade II: Senua's Sacrifice and while I have not watched it yet, I am tempted.  I loved the first game, which I played on the Switch and I do not expect that this sequel will also receive a Switch release so it will probably be at least another couple of years until after it is released on non-X-Box consoles.  Oddly (maybe?) the only Nintendo Switch release I could find was for the new Sonic game coming out next year, and that is also being released on other platforms as well.  I am sure that I am actually wrong with that statement, but it can be hard when announcements and trailers don't specify which platform they are releasing in; you can almost bet that when developers use "Releasing on PC and Consoles" more often than not it's just PlayStation and X-Box.  Although, Annapurna Interactive does have a decent track record of releasing several games on the Switch so maybe we might see Thirsty Suitors released there too.  Maybe.  I think like a lot of Switch people I was hoping for something about the sequel to Breath of the Wild and might have gotten my hopes up in the last couple of days; can't imagine where I got that idea from?

That is really all I have.  Like I hinted, not much to say on the matter.  Very happy to see Metroid Dread win an award, so I'll just leave it at that.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian



¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No comments:

Post a Comment