Monday, February 21, 2022

Game EXP: Accounting+ (OQ2/MQ)

Systems: HTC Vive, PlayStation VR, Oculus Quest
Release Date: October 18, 2016 (as Accounting)
Publisher: Crows Crows Crows

I mean, if that logo doesn't tell you what the game is about, everything I am about to talk about in this article probably won't either.

Accounting+ was the first paid game I played on the Oculus Quest 2 (Meta Quest now apparently) after picking it up in a bundle from Fanatical, although I was already planning on getting the game before I saw that it was bundled.  Already familiar with Crows Crows Crows from their games The Stanley Parable and Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist, and The Temple of No, I had a decent idea of what I was getting myself into writing-style-wise and that was it.  Well, I knew that there was something about a guy who sprouts from a tree and yells at you, but that was really all I could remember from the trailer.

At its core, Accounting+ is a point-and-click adventure game in virtual reality.  You start in one location and can interact with a lot of objects in each location, but your goal is to find out how to progress in your current location to get to your next location.  There are people you talk to that can help progress or hinder your progression and sometimes it can just be cathartic to throw a brick at a window or a box of cereal at the person talking to you just to see if they react at all.  Pretty simple as games go, but it is the writing and dialogue that 100% makes this game fun to play.  I mean, sure there are objects you can unlock and effects that interactable objects have on the environment and I am sure that something happens when you make a basket on the home screen beyond making a basket, but that is part of the fun of seeing what happens when you do something.  There are at least three hidden areas, not including the infamous Zoo area, but be wary of falling that six-year-old rabbit hole; if you thought following a walkthrough your cousin found on the Internet on how to get General Leo to permanently join your party after being killed at Thamasa, then this will sound like utter nonsense.

In the game you play, I think, as a person and instead of having hands, each hand is an arrow cursor, so you are really just clicking on things to interact with them.  Moving around in the world is different than in some other VR games, requiring you to click on the joystick and then cast/fling/jump to the location outlined by the box, but only within safe zones outlined by a white dotted line.  There was one area where I apparently did not see this box for a good 10 minutes, thinking that I had to constantly interact with a xylophone made from bones until I finished hearing these two horny voices finish.  And yes, I did sit through the same dialogue two complete times because I was convinced that I was missing something, which just turned out to be that I had not turned around after pouring acid on everything within reach, myself included. 

But that's it really.  That's the game.  You are arrows and you click on things and are entertained by the things that happen.  This is really just a piss-poor description of nearly every fun video game ever created.

I think I took a couple of hours on my first playthough, and that was just experiencing the game and not looking for hidden objects, collectibles, or deeper meanings into everything in the game.  There is some replayability here, but not a whole lot once you manage to gain access to the few hidden areas unless, of course, you are really hard up to get that ball in the hoop because as of right now, I still cannot make the shot.  But it is like rewatching a comedy movie that you love.  You know the jokes are coming, but it is the delivery that you are there for.



~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplant Man/Jaconian



P.S.  Just another couple of pictures because the article ended up being so short.

Always nice to be greeted with respect.


Oh yeah, court.

Yeah, I did do that, didn't I?


No comments:

Post a Comment