Friday, February 18, 2022

Thoughts on the 3DS and Wii U eShop Closures

With Nintendo's Twitter account making the rumors of the 3DS and Wii U eShops closing now official, I could not let this announcement go un-written about.

This article is in no way an attempt to do explain the reasons behind Nintendo's progressive closing shop on the eShops across the 3DS and Wii U systems, although the closing of the digital storefronts for systems that are no longer in production (3DS ceased production in 2020 and the Wii U in 2017) is admittedly frustrating even if it does make sense from a business perspective.  I am not saying that I agree with this decision, having just gotten a Wii U to be able to access the Virtual Console, but from a business standpoint, if something is costing the company more money (keeping open a digital store and the processing of credit card information) than it is bringing in over a period of time, then stopping that service does make sense.  I don't like it.  But I can understand the decision.

So what is the timeline (if you haven't already clicked over to read Nintendo's official statement?):

  • May 23, 2022: You will no longer be able to use the 3DS or Wii U eShop to add funds to your Nintendo Account using a credit card.
  • August 29, 2022:  You will no longer be able to add funds to either your Nintendo Account by using an eShop gift card through the eShop for the 3DS or the Wii U.
    • Nintendo does clarify though that if you have a Nintendo Account linked elsewhere, say the Switch I think now is the only supported Nintendo product (put a pin in that), you can add funds (credit card or eShop gift card) and use those funds on the 3DS or Wii U eShops if your Nintendo Account on those respective systems is the same Nintendo Account.
  • Late March 2023:  You will no longer be able to purchase anything from the 3DS or Wii U eShops, but you can still download any games that you previously purchased.  Nintendo does say that you can download previously purchased games after late March 2023 "for the foreseeable future" which is, at least, a good point.  

I am at least thankful that I use the same Nintendo Account across my 3DS, Wii U, and Switch, although most of my eShop funding is done through gift cards that I add funds onto through Nintendo's website; gotta get those sweet-sweet credit card/Amazon/Target Red Circle points/discounts.

I have talked about games that I know I want to pick up on the Wii U although there are still a couple of hold outs (like the Metroid Prime Trilogy) because I would prefer to have that on the Switch, but the current word is that the Switch might only(?) get the first Metroid Prime HD version.  Then there are some games that I would like to get for the 3DS that I do not have a spreadsheet for and their respective physical editions will likely spike in price following March 2023.  Games like Fire Emblem Awakening, and I keep hearing that Liberation Maiden is a fun game from Grasshopper Manufacture (Killer 7).  And probably another 20+ games that I might be interested in.

That being said, there is the knee-jerk reaction to buy games now out of the fear that they will no longer be available, but that day is still more than a year off.  There could be sales, however unlikely, leading up to March 2023, or even going into the dates in 2022 listed above, as various aspects of the eShop are disabled.  And then come March 2023, if prices on specific games have not dropped, then I might make a couple of full-priced purchases.  It will be my birthday after all.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian


*P.S.  I saw someone else mention this on Twitter, sorry I do not have the Tweet in front of me, but pointing out that come March 2023, unless there is an announcement and release in the next 12 months, the Switch will be Nintendo's only supported platform since the Game Boy was released alongside the NES back in 1989.  Just something else to think about I guess.

P.P.S.  There is a larger conversation that we could have about the importance of preserving video game history, but that is a discussion all on its own so you may have to wait for that.  At least for now anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment