Wednesday, November 2, 2022

MIDI Week Singles: "Evening in the Village" - Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (NDS)

 


"Evening in the Village" from Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies on the Nintendo DS (2009)
Label: SUGI LABEL
Publisher: Square Enix, Nintendo
Developer: Level 5, Square Enix


I always enjoy entering a village during the night to rest up at an Inn in Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies because this is the kind of JRPG that has a day and night cycle, and villages are one of the few locations (that I have come across anyway) that have different music in the evening than during the day, with this being a variation on "The Sun Gathering Village" theme.  I just find it to be a calming respite from the fighting in the overworld, and whenever I am specifically seeking an Inn, it is usually because I am low on MP and do not want to use up any of my consumables.

There is something about this song, for the first 30 seconds that proudly states that this song was composed during the DS era, but I cannot quite put my finger on what that sound is.  I rarely make it to the second half of the song when the harpsichord comes in as towns and villages are not that large in DQIX, so I find it nice to listen to this song out-of-game, which all good video game music should be as well.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian


*P.S.  I linked to our previous article featuring music by Koichi Sugiyama because I felt it important that while being able to appreciate the music he wrote for the Dragon Quest series, we need to be able to acknowledge how wrong his belief system was in regard to human rights.  I feel like I did a decent job talking about it last time, so rather than go into it every time, I will simply link back to what I already said.  Because I think it is possible to separate the music from his right-wing conservative nationalistic political views that have harmed so many people.

No comments:

Post a Comment