Wednesday, November 16, 2022

MIDI Week Singles: "Main Theme" - Scribblenauts (NDS)

 


"Main Theme" from Scribblenauts on the Nintendo DS (2009)
Composer: David J. Franco
Album: No Official Soundtrack
Developer: 5th Cell



I played a lot of Scribblenauts, the first time being at PAX09 at their demo booth, and fell in love with the game.  This was just a fun and imaginative game that might have lost a bit of its luster with each sequel after the original (except for the improved controls), but the music from this game and the series, composed by David J. Franco will always make me feel like that spunky young 29-year-old with nary a care in the world trying to come up with different ways to solve puzzles to collect that Starite.  

I had thought about splicing together a lot of the songs that are used for the intros into each level, but I got a little lazy so you will have to settle for the theme to the series, simply titled "Main Theme" because there was no official soundtrack released until Scribblenauts Unlimited in 2012.  But this theme, to me, exudes whimsy and that child-like energy that fortunate kids are lucky to have.  When I see a Starite up in a tree, I might think the easiest way to get at the goal would be to create a LADDER to climb the tree or a CHAINSAW to cut down the tree.  A kid might suggest using a BEAVER to eat the tree to a DRAGON to fly Maxwell to the top of the tree.  This is what this theme reminds me of that feeling, and that makes me happy.



~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment