Wednesday, October 25, 2023

MIDI Week Singles: "The Sewer Snake" - Nightmare Creatures (N64)

 


"The Sewer Snake" from Nightmare Creatures on the Nintendo 64, PlayStation & Windows (1997)
Composer: Frédéric Motte
Album: Nightmare Creatures (Original Game Soundtrack)
Label: elmobo
Publisher: Activision
Developer: Kalisto Entertainment

Nightmare Creatures is a game that I started one afternoon back in 1999 and probably was not given a fair chance as I played for maybe 10-15 minutes before I stopped.  All I remember was that I did not like the control setup and I think it might have been too actiony for what I was looking for in a survival horror game.  With that in mind, I never made it out of the opening area in the streets of London, so I never ended up going up against any bosses, sewers, or otherwise.

When I watched a playthrough of the Sewer Snake boss fight, I was a little disappointed in how the audio mix felt very muted; it could have also been the settings with the music lower than the sound effects.  But it was difficult to hear the amazing organ intro over the sound of the creature roaring and belching fire throughout the stage.  Once the drums and guitars come in, at around 10 seconds, the music becomes even more difficult to discern from all of the other sound effects happening, which is really sad because this is some great high-energy boss music.  And good luck even hearing anything of that baseline in-game either.  

Just a fun theme to play if you find yourself in the sewers and have to battle a 12+ foot tall multiheaded fire-breathing snake.  Just another typical Wednesday night in 1834 London.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
Draw the Line in the Horizon

No comments:

Post a Comment