Monday, October 2, 2023

Monthly Update: October 2023

 

Good October everyone.

Hopefully, everyone enjoyed the shortened articles from our Game EXP Dumb series over the last month, I know I appreciated having finally taken care of those articles as they gnawed away at the recesses of my brain, begging for me to say something beyond what I had already said.  While in the process of putting those articles together, I actually came across several games that I had not factored into the series of articles, being Heroes of the Monkey Tavern, EqqO, and Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoirs and while looking at those games, removing two games that I had already written articles on for #DiscoverIndies, Flood of Light and Earthworms.  You might realize that we never published a Game EXP article for Spirit Camera: Cursed Memoir, which is because I only realized this as we came to the end of the month and each article was already bloated with three games, so I have decided to hold off on that article until the beginning of next month.  It will likely still be in the style of the Game EXP Dump articles, so do not expect a full on standard Game EXP article even though it will be presented by itself.  I say that now anyway.

This month we are doing something a little different: spending the entire month with Dead Space (aka Dead Space Mobile), which I played through again before I side-graded my phone.  Each regular posting day will feature two chapters from Dead Space Mobile along with a commentary-free walkthrough of the game as I played it on my phone, complete with interrupting notifications from various apps and more screen and asset tearing than you could shake a severed limb at.

Speaking of mobile games, with the recent acquisition of my new phone (and thereby slightly larger hard drive space), I have downloaded (and re-downloaded in some cases) more mobile games to give them a try since I pretty much only play Fire Emblem Heroes and dabble here-and-there in Mighty DOOM.  I may decide to do an article combining a couple of games with a First Impressions feel, or it might turn into a "Here's why I uninstalled Game X after only 10 minutes."  I also thought about getting back into Diablo Immortal, but after logging into the BattleNet server, I found that my previous character was initially not attached to my account (for whatever reason), which made me happy that I never spent any real money on the game.  I later realized after creating a new character, that I was just not logged onto the right server, which is a new thing for me to have to think about.  So I may in fact continue with my Crusader Jaquonæn, or I may just start up the Reaper of Souls DLC for Diablo III that I never played after finishing the game. 

I might be reaching the end of Tears of the Kingdom, 225 hours in, but only if you count it as beating all of the temples and finally, I presume, Ganon.  At the moment, I have beaten three of the four temples and have four other characters following me around at nearly all times.  I have about 75% of the Depths explored, but probably less than that for the sky islands.  If there are 999 Korok Seeds this time around too, I probably have between 25-30% of those collected.  There are still plenty of side quests that I have not completed and I will get to those before I decide to make my final assault on wherever I am supposed to go to complete the main quest.  Oh, and I should also acquire the Master Sword at some point too.

I have made some minimal progress in Final Fantasy XIII, but I am still in the linear on the run from PSICOM, and there was the recent revelation/confession from one character to another while in the Golden Saucer. . . sorry, Nautilus, which should give you an idea as to where I really am at in the game if you are familiar with the story of Lightning et al.  I am still, for the most part, enjoying the battle system, and just like in Final Fantasy X, I love that high of spending of points to increase stats and skills for my party members; although I do have issues with the presentation of the skill tree and how it functions.

In other games, I am making even less progress in Poochy & Yoshi's Wooly World because there are times when I stop playing the game out of spite for not being as easy as I want it to be.  It has also been a while (as in a week or two) since I have played Icewind Dale because I am dreading having to fight my way through a cave system of regenerating mushroom creatures and Drow only to have to find a place to sleep because I ran out of healing spells and I did not make the 3+ day trek back to the one gods forsaken village in this entire game.

I have also recently really gotten into The Gaming Historian channel on YouTube, which is exactly what I am looking for when it comes to informational and historical videos about video games.  Very little frills, no sensationalism, just an enthusiastic NPR level of video journalism.  I think I was actually looking for a different YouTube channel that was similar in nature but changed its name to something I cannot remember (I cannot remember the original name, so that's where we're at with this search) a few years back when I stumbled upon The Gaming Historian.  Yeah, late to the party on this one too.


So that is October, or at least will be once the month is through.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
Does He Hear Your Prayers?

No comments:

Post a Comment