Wednesday, May 22, 2024

MIDI Week Singles: "The Sky" - The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (NS)

 


"The Sky" from The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom on the Nintendo Switch (2023)
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Nintendo EPD

When I first started writing this article at the beginning of the month there was still no official soundtrack for Tears of the Kingdom, although a few days later, an OST was announced with a tracklist.  I used Google's Translate app to look at the tracklist. I only saw one song that could be titled "Sky Island," but since I couldn't tell which song plays while you're in the sky, I am going to keep "The Sky" as the simplistic title of this song. However, I might come back and update the title after the soundtrack is released in July.

For a large part of the first half of my time playing Tears of the Kingdom, I didn't spend a whole lot of time on the sky islands.  Sure I would use the Skyview Towers to blast into the literal stratosphere but after leaving the Great Sky Island, or briefly returning to convert zonaite into battery charges, my time spent exploring the sky islands was very minimal.  Once I did return to complete side quests like searching for Zonai history tablets, I really fell into this song.

Like a lot of the music in this and Breath of the Wild, the music is very unassuming and mostly in the background.  "The Sky" holds true here too as there is just about as much if not more silence between the musical punctuations than there is music.  But it works.  It works really well.  Somehow this music made exploring chunks of floating island where there was likely not a lot to collect apart from a few sundelions feel so much more enchanting.  

Lastly, maybe it's just me, and I don't know if it's intentional or not, but I hear a lot of John Williams' score from Raiders of the Lost Ark here, specifically in tracks like "The Map Room: Dawn," and "The Miracle of the Ark."  For me, it adds this sense of exploration in a place that hasn't been visited in hundreds or thousands of years, without being interrupted by enemies or companions.  Just solo exploration.  Just the way I like it.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
Instrumental

No comments:

Post a Comment