Wednesday, August 14, 2024

MIDI Week Singles: "Fighting of the Spirit" - Tales of Phantasia (PSX)

 


"Fighting of the Spirit" from Tales of Phantasia on the PlayStation (1998)
Composer: Motoi Sakuraba & Shinji Tamura
Album: Tales of Phantasia Original Soundtrack Complete Version
Label: Victor
Publisher: Namco
Developer: Wolf Team

I haven't played Tales of Phantasia, but I did play through almost half of Tales of Symphonia back in 2005-2006 (you know, 18 years ago) and I appreciate action RPG music which the Tales series is known for (or at least I think it is).  This track takes on a certain bounciness, considering it plays during miniboss-style battles against Spirits before they lend you their power (or at least that's what I've come to understand from watching a couple of longplays).  And from what I recall of Tales of Symphonia, this style of music is very fitting for the Tales franchise.  It helps to keep the energy flowing and the player engaged as there's not really a section during the entire song that slows down to let the player catch their breath.

Maybe it's me, but I find this track somewhat reminiscent of something from the Mega Man X series.  Regardless, I really enjoy this song and feel that I'd eventually like to get back into the Tales series.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
Instrumental

No comments:

Post a Comment