Wednesday, March 28, 2018

MIDI Week Singles: "The Gates of Hell" - Bayonetta (NS)



"The Gates of Hell" from Bayonetta on the Nintendo Switch, Wii U, Playstation3, Xbox 360, & PC (2009)
Label: WAVE MASTER ENTERTAINMENT
Developer: PlatinumGames



I have been playing a bit of Bayonetta here and there, when I have been able to pull myself away from The Legend of Zelda: The Breath of the Wild, and apparently Bayonetta is known(ish) for its music, considering that the soundtrack is packed with 150 tracks spanning five discs.  So out of all of the possible songs I could have chosen for use as a MIDI Week Single, why did I land on the one that is possibly one of the more soft and mellow songs from the entire soundtrack?  Because I remember it.

As Bayonetta is a third person action shooter, there is a large amount of the game that is spent running around and shooting angels combined with semi-frantic button mashing.  While fighting whatever it is that Heaven happens to be currently throwing at me, I do enjoy having the music in the background (although now I kind of want to see what it would be like with the music turned off), but my attention is not on what is playing, it is what button combination I am currently failing at.  And because performing combos and racking up that sweet-sweet lootz is somewhat integral to leveling up, I seem unable to process fully the music that is playing.

Which brings us to "The Gates of Hell."  This music plays when you take a step out of the action oriented machine and into, what is essentially a series of semi/partially animated menu screens while shopping for upgrades, items, and additional combo techniques.  At this point in the level, I am actually able to sit back and actually take in the music while I decide if I want to purchase the Tetsuzanko technique or save up for another Full Witch Heart?  What amuses me is that I'm not one to typically listen to jazz, but there's something about the trumpet part that reminds me, oddly enough of "Concerning Hobbits" in Lord of the Rings, and the "Dungeon - Main Theme" from Castlevania 64.  Maybe this song has just grown on me while being able to take a breather from such a fun and frantic game.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment